Getting hired with a S.O.D.A.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
from 328 dude:
"A SODA is a alternate testing standard that is issued by the FAA for those that to not meet the criteria for normal testing standards. It's not a waiver. What does it waive? You still got your medical right?"

I'm certainly no aviation medicine expert, but I would have to agree, after all the acronym stands for Statement of Demonsrated Ability.

I have gone around and around on this with people before. A SODA is not a waiver. If someone can convince me what it waives, I might switch my stance on this. I have one myself which is in the process of getting removed. Had to convince a FED that I could see the light gun. I did.

If your SODA is for slight colorblindness, or in my case, you can't read those dot charts, then talk to your ME. The FAA approved a slew of diffrent test's to test your color field ability without using the cards. The lantern test is what you can use instead of those **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** cards. If you pass that, you can have it removed.

If an employer refused employment because they state a SODA is a waiver, have them explain it to you what it waives and how is it waiving any part of my medical performance.

I have a SODA for color blindness... there is no reason an employer would even know about it unless they give you a physical. Even with that, the other guys are right, you would have a winnable law suit on your hands. The only person you will have to show it to is your AME when you get your medical. The fact that you have one shouldn't, though sometimes does with some AME's, even show up on your actual medical certificate.

Not quite true. Your medical is NOT valid without the SODA attached. So, when your future employer asks for a copy of your medical, you must also show a copy of your SODA. NO big deal though. If you want to totally rid yourself of the problem, apply for a Letter of Competence. This letter is only shown to the AME at the medical exam and describes to them that you have passed alternate tests for color vision defects. It is not required for your medical to be valid and you don't have to carry it with you. If you are a member of the EAA or AOPA, I'd try applying though them. I tried for months on my own, then wrote a letter some months later to the EAA medical division, I had my letter within a week. Good luck.

Error: You don't have to have your SODA attached to your medical. Only when you renew your medical.

Straight from Silverman himself.

If you have a First Class Medical and thats what they require they should hire you. The soda does not take away from your First Class Medical. You do not have to show them the SODA. Mine is in a safety deposit box.

I was offered employment at ASA, American Eagle, Piedmont, and Mesa all at the same time.

I have a First Class Medical with a SODA. During the interviews they didn't even ask about it.

701EV

Also the SODA is not a waiver.

701EV

wings421 said:
If you want to totally rid yourself of the problem, apply for a Letter of Competence. This letter is only shown to the AME at the medical exam and describes to them that you have passed alternate tests for color vision defects. It is not required for your medical to be valid and you don't have to carry it with you. If you are a member of the EAA or AOPA, I'd try applying though them. I tried for months on my own, then wrote a letter some months later to the EAA medical division, I had my letter within a week. Good luck.

Did you already have a SODA when you applied for your letter of competence? I always thought once you had the SODA it stayed with you.

What type of alternate test did you have to take?

Thanks.

Latest resources

Back