Getting hired with a S.O.D.A.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Northern Lights

I was wondering which regional airlines accept pilots with Statements of Demonstrated Ability (SODAs)?

I have a First class medical with a waiver for color blindness and am curious to know if I will be disqualified because of it.

How about these:
Horizon
Air Wisconsin
Pinnacle
Mesaba
Comair
ASA
Skywest

And any others…

When I talk to COEX back in 2000 they said “no waivers.”

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Pinnacle and Coex - NO
American Eagle - YES

The rest, I don't know. Sorry. American Eagle is your best shot.

Northern Lights said:
I was wondering which regional airlines accept pilots with Statements of Demonstrated Ability (SODAs)?

I have a First class medical with a waiver for color blindness and am curious to know if I will be disqualified because of it.

How about these:
Horizon
Air Wisconsin
Pinnacle
Mesaba
Comair
ASA
Skywest

And any others…

When I talk to COEX back in 2000 they said “no waivers.”

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Well they all are supposed too, otherwise it is discrimination...I know of someone who has one (no it isn't me)...PM me for more info

I recently helped a friend get hired at American Eagle. This pilot has a SODA for deafness in one ear.

About two years ago we went to a job fair that almost every regional airline attended. There was a forum in which those in charge of hiring at various regionals hosted. I asked what each airline's policy was regarding hiring pilots with a first class medical and a SODA. Several of these hiring reps had NO IDEA was a SODA was. After I described it, most said no, they would not hire a pilot with a SODA. American Eagle was the only one that said yes. Being the trouble-maker that I am, I informed the group that if they didn't hire a fully qualified pilot who had the blessing of the FAA to hold a first class medical, they were in violation of the ADA. Most were unfazed.

I read somewhere over the weekend that an Island Air pilot with one eye (and a SODA) recently sued Island Air and won for violations of this act. Maybe precedent-setting?

Great Lakes is also one of those GREAT airlines that understands minor disabilities and will employee you with a SODA

Mooser

A SODA is a alternate testing standard that is issued by the FAA for those that to not meet the criteria for normal testing standards. It's not a waiver. What does it waive? You still got your medical right?

328dude said:
A SODA is a alternate testing standard that is issued by the FAA for those that to not meet the criteria for normal testing standards. It's not a waiver. What does it waive? You still got your medical right?

Excellent Point

Mooser

I have a SODA for color blindness... there is no reason an employer would even know about it unless they give you a physical. Even with that, the other guys are right, you would have a winnable law suit on your hands. The only person you will have to show it to is your AME when you get your medical. The fact that you have one shouldn't, though sometimes does with some AME's, even show up on your actual medical certificate.

Don't worry about it, apply...

Latest resources

Back