Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Get some B@@ls and turn off the seatbelt sign!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Probably one of the number one things I hate about US Carriers. The captain is busy reading the USA today and afraid of being sued, so will put the seatbelt on for hours at a time, and the Stews in the back are totally unwilling to back up there cart 1 inch to accommodate a passenger. We should require a DH on Singapore airlines or someone like that during OE.

12 years ago...but then AA/AM Eagle philosophy quoted in FOM was "the captain in interest of passenger comfort, would turn off seatbelt as early as possible: if he felt he shouldnt for safety reasons then he was to make frequent PAs as to why he was leaving it on". Just never happens...I hate when I get up , its been smooth for 2 hours and FAs say seat belts on please sit down!
And I have been around enough to know there are various excuses but more often than not it is just laziness or lack of caring.

Departure was already delayed an hour and a half before we boarded, then it took an hour and twenty minutes to taxi to the runway at JFK. During the two hour flight to ORD they didn't turn the seatbelt sign off once, even though it was as smooth as silk the whole way. Do you think that people are just going to sit in their seats for three hours and wet their pants? Do you think that the cabin crews stop them from walking around? If you feel that you get no respect from the back, try giving to them once in awhile!

Backseat drivers...

If it was off, you'd want it on.

Worse is when they turn on the seat belt sign at the slightest ripple, followed by a long PA by the catranchers in 3 languages ordering everyone to make sure their seat belt is fastened bla bla bla - waking up everyone in the process!

A DH on any foreign airline should be required!

Worse is when they turn on the seat belt sign at the slightest ripple, followed by a long PA by the catranchers in 3 languages ordering everyone to make sure their seat belt is fastened bla bla bla - waking up everyone in the process!

A DH on any foreign airline should be required!

^^ This.

If its a 1 hour flight on a RJ i gotta hear 1bell, the 10k ft. announcement, the seatbelt off, seatbelt on (and some of you clowns play with it more than once), 10k ft announcement, and final descent announcements.

How do i sleep through all that? I dont.

Backseat drivers...

If it was off, you'd want it on.

No. He was making a legitimate point about a bunch of lazy-ass pilots and cabin crew. There are some paranoid types out there convinced that "they" will hang them if the seat belt light comes off and we experience a ripple--give me a break!

Then there are the cat-herders just aching for an excuse not to serve pax so they can sit their lazy-but-large derriers in the js for an hour and a half, reading Vogue, Cats Today, or something else.

Bottom line: if the plane is at cruise altitude, and the flight is smooth, turn off the seat belt sign and let folks stretch their legs and hit the head. Would you as a passenger want anything else?

You guys must not commute or ride in the back much. I have never seen anything as universally IGNORED by the average passenger as the seat belt sign, with the possible exception of the airline name on the outside of the jet.

You guys must not commute or ride in the back much. I have never seen anything as universally IGNORED by the average passenger as the seat belt sign, with the possible exception of the airline name on the outside of the jet.

I concur.

Commuted and deadheaded a lot, and no passenger seems to give a d@%n about the seat belt sign. Once time in moderate turbulence the woman across the aisle from me took her belt off and put her child that was buckled in next to her on her lap. When we hit a really big bump the child almost flew across the aisle. I politely asked her for her childs safety and the rest of us that she put BOTH of their belts back on in seperate seats!

Obviously you're one that listens when told.
So what happens if you get up and the seatbelt sign is on?
Get over it.

Latest resources

Back