Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Get some B@@ls and turn off the seatbelt sign!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

longhaul

Departure was already delayed an hour and a half before we boarded, then it took an hour and twenty minutes to taxi to the runway at JFK. During the two hour flight to ORD they didn't turn the seatbelt sign off once, even though it was as smooth as silk the whole way. Do you think that people are just going to sit in their seats for three hours and wet their pants? Do you think that the cabin crews stop them from walking around? If you feel that you get no respect from the back, try giving to them once in awhile!

Anyone with a 74 type and has flown on the 121 pax side should know why the seat belt sign was on still.

Anyone with a 74 type and has flown on the 121 pax side should know why the seat belt sign was on still.

Anyone with a 74 type also knows that there a lazy @$$es out there (many on the regional level) that have never given turning the sign off a second thought in their careers. Used to drive me crazy at 9E...

"wanna turn the sign off?"
"nah, too much liability... they'll get up anyway."
"umm.. okay..."

So what does 1 1/2 hour delay in boarding have to do with the seat belt sign? If you've been a CA for some time, or even an FO, you can't tell me you've never been part of a crew that forgot to turn off the seat belt sign, it happens, jump seater distraction, line check, fed, etc. Let me guess, the delay made you late for work.

Last edited:
Anyone with a 74 type also knows that there a lazy @$$es out there (many on the regional level) that have never given turning the sign off a second thought in their careers. Used to drive me crazy at 9E...

"wanna turn the sign off?"
"nah, too much liability... they'll get up anyway."
"umm.. okay..."
The point was that I am not sure how someone with a 747 type cannot know that sometimes we forget to turn it off. Is it an excuse, no it should absolutely be attended to without exception.

The point was that I am not sure how someone with a 747 type cannot know that sometimes we forget to turn it off. Is it an excuse, no it should absolutely be attended to without exception.

was intended for thread starter

So what does 1 1/2 hour delay in boarding have to do with the seat belt sign?

Nothing really, I just threw that in there to set the scene and make the point that the pax were pretty fed up already before even getting on the plane.

And they didn't just forget about it, the captain made a PA announcement when they leveled off saying that they would leave it on for awhile.

If we're going to save this industry from turning into Greyhound we are going to have to make it more pleasant for the customers. As pilots we can't do a whole lot, but when i see people just being lazy to cover their own backsides it ticks me off.

Latest resources

Back