• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Get ready for Age 67+

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well, I think I've made that clear. Age discrimination is illegal, except when it comes to airline pilots.

If someone can pass an FAA medical, they should be allowed to fly. After all, there are plenty of over 65 pilots flying some heavy corporate iron.

I don't. Age 65 is part of the reason why I don't. It's not the only reason, I'll grant you that, but it sure didn't help.

And that is the simple truth about all this debate isn't it? Is where you fit into the equation and not really about anything scientific or medical, if the airlines were hiring 80 pilots a month as it was the case pre 9/11, you wouldn't hear a peep about age 65. You demand that the US goes out side of the rest of the ICAO members because the aviation market is where it is.

Well, I think I've made that clear. Age discrimination is illegal, except when it comes to airline pilots.

Well, that's not quite true now, is it? There are age limits in law enforcement, certain other government work (ATC, for example) and many other areas that you might not be aware of. It's just that only the pilot issue affects you, thus you don't care about any other instances of age discrimination.

You know, kind of like I care about how it's affected me, which apparently means I have a bad attitude. But let's forget about me personally, I'm ********************ed and that's all there is to it. Fine. But what about so many other wonderful people with a much better attitude? Why should they be, as you put it, "porked"?

And that is the simple truth about all this debate isn't it? Is where you fit into the equation and not really about anything scientific or medical, if the airlines were hiring 80 pilots a month as it was the case pre 9/11, you wouldn't hear a peep about age 65. You demand that the US goes out side of the rest of the ICAO members because the aviation market is where it is.

I don't demand anything, I'm expressing an opinion, there is a difference. There are countries and, furthermore, individual airlines that are more restrictive than ICAO on this (Cathay, for instance), and I don't hear much outrage over that.

Why do you assume you are owed promotion? Because you have a pilot's license? Get used to the idea...this is the game.

You pay your dues until you can hold that left seat. There are USAir 18 year F/Os on furlough. Them's the breaks of aviation. If you don't like it, call Truckmasters.

You pay your dues until you can hold that left seat. There are USAir 18 year F/Os on furlough. Them's the breaks of aviation. If you don't like it, call Truckmasters.

I'm cool with that. It's the dues constantly increasing that bothers me.

Well, that's not quite true now, is it? There are age limits in law enforcement, certain other government work (ATC, for example) and many other areas that you might not be aware of. It's just that only the pilot issue affects you, thus you don't care about any other instances of age discrimination.

You know, kind of like I care about how it's affected me, which apparently means I have a bad attitude. But let's forget about me personally, I'm ********************ed and that's all there is to it. Fine. But what about so many other wonderful people with a much better attitude? Why should they be, as you put it, "porked"?

and strippers, don't forget them. I think we can all agree that age 65 is far more objectional for them than airline pilots.

and strippers, don't forget them. I think we can all agree that age 65 is far more objectional for them than airline pilots.

I most wholeheartedly agree. In fact, anything past 30 is too objectionable for them.

I don't demand anything, I'm expressing an opinion, there is a difference. There are countries and, furthermore, individual airlines that are more restrictive than ICAO on this (Cathay, for instance), and I don't hear much outrage over that.

Of course, JAL and ANA both have set a retirement age at 60 although the regulations allow 65, but that is something pilots need to negotiate with their own union and companies. I am one who believes that there should be no age limit but rather medical fitness limits

Of course, JAL and ANA both have set a retirement age at 60 although the regulations allow 65, but that is something pilots need to negotiate with their own union and companies. I am one who believes that there should be no age limit but rather medical fitness limits

Does CX still enforce mandatory retirement at 55? I think both BA and AF still do. LH is still 60.

Latest resources

Back