• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Get ready for Age 67+

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I can tell you what I won't support. Me stuck in the right seat for God only knows how many more years while Capt Fossil next to me keeps refusing to call it quits. That I will most definitely not support.

Ever consider that attitude makes people WANT to stay just to deny YOU the left seat?

Ever consider that attitude makes people WANT to stay just to deny YOU the left seat?

Yeah, I'm sure that's it. What attitude am I supposed to have? Am I supposed to be ecstatic about continuously being denied career progression?

I posted years ago the numbers of retirements forecast at UAL before age 65. Those numbers would have negated all the furloughs even with parking of the 737. Therefore this age rule change, "#%&KED MY AND ANDY'S CAREER". Numbers don't lie.
Was that before September 2008?

If you been offered the job at UAL after the age change, would you have turned it down?

Your misfortune is the result of being junior and that's been the way it's been forever. Everyone was junior once. I've hung onto my old furlough notice to remind me of that fact.

The age change has kept the pipeline from moving, but it's external forces (like poor decisions - TED, an economy that was scuttled to humble America, a leaderless industry, etc.) that caused it to stop in the first place.

I can tell you what I won't support. Me stuck in the right seat for God only knows how many more years while Capt Fossil next to me keeps refusing to call it quits. That I will most definitely not support.
So you are asking (demanding actually) someone to sacrifice something for you, and you call him Capt. Fossil. What's up with that? What are you willing to give up in return?

Yeah, I'm sure that's it. What attitude am I supposed to have? Am I supposed to be ecstatic about continuously being denied career progression?

That's the airline business. I hope you didn't ASSUME you'd be a Captain in a defined amount of time.

Mergers, fuel spikes, 9/11, etc., etc. all conspire to change "career expectations."

Sorry, that Age 65 porked you. It porked EVERYBODY. Get over it.

Ship happens. Perhaps you should just be happy you have a JOB at a major airline (if you do!). There are a boatload of guys who will never make it past the regionals.

So you are asking (demanding actually) someone to sacrifice something for you, and you call him Capt. Fossil. What's up with that? What are you willing to give up in return?

I don't know, what's Capt Fossil giving me in return for my sacrifice? I already got furloughed once because of this BS, will probably get furloughed again. What else am I supposed to give up?

Ship happens. Perhaps you should just be happy you have a JOB at a major airline (if you do!). There are a boatload of guys who will never make it past the regionals.

I don't. Age 65 is part of the reason why I don't. It's not the only reason, I'll grant you that, but it sure didn't help.

Well, then perhaps you'd better reevaluate your goals. Because there's a VERY good chance that you're a permaRegional pilot.

Face it, only 10% of applicants will be successful at the Major level, especially if you're not an ex-military aviator. Time to rethink.

Oh, and Capt. Fossil made the cut. You haven't yet. Chew on that for a bit.

Well, then perhaps you'd better reevaluate your goals. Because there's a VERY good chance that you're a permaRegional pilot.

Face it, only 10% of applicants will be successful at the Major level, especially if you're not an ex-military aviator. Time to rethink.

Fair enough, so what's your position then? What should be the age limit? 80? 95? None?

Latest resources

Back