• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

general mills

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I know it's getting OT but if we're talking about a Fortune 100 company you would be looking for a compensation package at least mid range to start?

Can you get some intel from them or someone else on the range they have in mind? Historical data? Lacking that, I would most definitely go for something north of mid range. Probably 85% of top, as you can always go down. Particularly if you have a lot of transferrable experience. There are many unknowns.

I know it's getting OT but if we're talking about a Fortune 100 company you would be looking for a compensation package at least mid range to start?

AbOvo,
If you don't mind me asking, what is "mid range" in $$ for a Fortune 100 company? Semperfido referred to "top end". Do you know what figure in $$ he is referring to?

Please excuse the thread creep, but I've been trying to get a handle on Corp. pay rates and keep coming up bubkis. Is there an online source that I'm missing?

TIA, FAJ

Overall compensation is another negotiating point.

I have gotten within a couple of grand of where I wanted to be when I felt as if they would not come up. Then I hit them with" I see you start everyone with 2 weeks of vacation, my family is important to me, currently I am getting X, if you can match that I think that we have deal"

Hypothetically, if you are making $100K that's $2k a week. Getting another week or two of vacation equates to another $2-4K

I have had flt department managers just OK it on the spot and others have run it through HR. This tactic has never let me down.

AbOvo,
If you don't mind me asking, what is "mid range" in $$ for a Fortune 100 company? Semperfido referred to "top end". Do you know what figure in $$ he is referring to?

Please excuse the thread creep, but I've been trying to get a handle on Corp. pay rates and keep coming up bubkis. Is there an online source that I'm missing?

TIA, FAJ

I don't work for a F100 company...but let me take a stab at it.

Bizav compensation is highly variable based on location & equipment types. Somebody flying a Lear or a Hawker for a midwestern-based company isn't likely to make as much as somebody flying a large-cabin Gulfstream or GLEX out of the NYC area. Even in similar types, its not unexpected for somebody in a lower cost-of-living area to receive less salary than somebody in an expensive area like SanFran or the NE corridor.

NBAA and Stanton both put out compensation surveys that are typically given more weight than those from places like Professional Pilot magazine or Avcrew.com, based on gross weight (NBAA) or type (Stanton). Of course to see the NBAA or Stanton surveys you either need to participate in them or spend the $$$ to buy them...

As an example:

2009 NBAA Salary Survey:
(National Average, Part 91 only)

Captain - Jet III (20k < 45k lbs)
Base Salary
Average: $98,204
Median: $96,000
25% Quartile: $85,250
75% Quartile: $109,438

Captain - Jet IV (45k < 80k lbs)
Base Salary
Average: $118,818
Median: $115,500
25% Quartile: $102,000
75% Quartile: $135,000

Jet III would cover a large number midsize and super-midsize types by weight including as small as the Citation XLS up to the Challenger 3000 and Falcon 2000EASy.

Jet IV covers larger aircraft, from the Challenger 604 up into Gulfstreams, Globals, and large 3-hole Falcons.

In the end, however, you're always worth what you negotiate...

Also, watch for the "its cheap to live here compared to NY" excuse...no metro areas are inexpensive if you want to live in the nice neighborhoods (of course you do)

I have heard Chicago based Falcon and Gulfstream pilots justify a sub 100K salary because "its cheaper in the Midwest"

:rolleyes:

Unfortunately, at a large Fortune xx company you wont have much control over your starting salary. From my previous experience and knowing many in other outfits, there is usually there is a small salary window for a given position. Where they often make up for it is in bonus, stock, etc....total wildcard these days. 115-130K seemed like a common starting number, with typical line guys in the 135-150K range. Ones with extra duties saw more. I thought this was slightly low but there is lots to be considered including QOL, benefits, etc. QOL rules over money for me, YMMV.

Smaller outfits give you much more negotiating power - especially if you come in with solid experience and your attitude etc shows that you can be a quick turnkey PIC for the operation. Here is where you need to negotiate, and pilots are often terrible negotiators.

Good Luck

Latest resources

Back