general mills

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
BoilerUP,

I appreciate the effort on your part and others that have replied.

I have a way, waaaay outside shot at a Fortune 100 company and if I'm lucky enough to be called in I would like to at least be prepared enough so as not to look to stupid :blush:

Thanks again.

FAJ

I think that is far from the norm in Chicago and if so probably not for a Fortune 100.

I agree far from the norm, but 100% true....and yes was a Fortune XXX company.

My only point was that pilots/departments often justify low pay for ridiculous reasons.

I really don't care what salary one chooses to work for, people have many different reasons for staying in a job. I also agree money is not the most important....but COL is very similar in most large metro areas.

There are no bargains out there and pay shouldn't differ that much.

Last edited:
It is possible that the package is worth what he says. Say you have a base salary around $110K. You get a bonus of around $12K. You get restricted stock worth around $20K per year. You are making $152K per year. Figure in the other benefits such as medical, dental 401K match, ESOP, employee discounts, etc.... Now you are making around $180K per year and only working 10 days a month. Not a bad life......

It is possible that the package is worth what he says. Say you have a base salary around $110K. You get a bonus of around $12K. You get restricted stock worth around $20K per year. You are making $152K per year. Figure in the other benefits such as medical, dental 401K match, ESOP, employee discounts, etc.... Now you are making around $180K per year and only working 10 days a month. Not a bad life......

Not a bad life...but you are not making 180K a year! -you are making 110K.

You cant plan your family budget on stock options or a bonus (or at least I hope one isn't!) and you can't pay for groceries with medical benefits or employee discounts.

Don't get me wrong, all good things to have..but certainly not salary. I always loved that little chart the company provides showing me "total compensation"....then wonder where it is when I get paid. At some point in the last handful of years of obscene corporate greed, the basic health benefits they should provide have magically become part of YOUR compensation!

I also loved the "we always give a bonus" statement that is of course, never in writing.

I know, just wording...but I'd guess that I'm not the only one here who has seen stock options/gifts become totally worthless over the last few years.

If able - in any part of the hiring/salary process, I would trade any of the unknown stuff for STRAIGHT F'N SALARY.

:)

You cant plan your family budget on stock options or a bonus (or at least I hope one isn't!) and you can't pay for groceries with medical benefits or employee discounts.

Don't get me wrong, all good things to have..but certainly not salary. I always loved that little chart the company provides showing me "total compensation"....then wonder where it is when I get paid. At some point in the last handful of years of obscene corporate greed, the basic health benefits they should provide have magically become part of YOUR compensation!

I also loved the "we always give a bonus" statement that is of course, never in writing.

I know, just wording...but I'd guess that I'm not the only one here who has seen stock options/gifts become totally worthless over the last few years.

If able - in any part of the hiring/salary process, I would trade any of the unknown stuff for STRAIGHT F'N SALARY.

Yeah, we are getting the full bonus in "this economy". The stock keeps vesting and paying. My glass is half full. Maybe it is half empty where you work? Stock options are worthless, restricted stock only requires a little loyality and it pays (vests 50% every two years). So after 4 years with the company you own $40k or more worth of stock Per year on top of the salary and bonus.

Yeah, we are getting the full bonus in "this economy". The stock keeps vesting and paying. My glass is half full. Maybe it is half empty where you work? Stock options are worthless, restricted stock only requires a little loyality and it pays (vests 50% every two years). So after 4 years with the company you own $40k or more worth of stock Per year on top of the salary and bonus.

actually much less than half empty!

Stock went from about $60-$1 in approx 2 years...the vesting schedule and options were pretty much useless. Ballpark 300K on paper became about 5K.

I don't wish that on anyone, for your sake I hope that stock keeps paying, and I'm sure glad I didn't consider it salary.

I can say that bonuses actually went up for some, maybe as a way to try and keep the better performers around?...which also didn't work.

Oh well...its just a job.

Fooking brilliant post. Anyone considering a compensation package needs to refer to the above statement.

Cheers!

Latest resources

Back