• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Gemini to file chapter 7

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No. The leasing company (GECAS) re-po'd the MD11s, The Bank took the other tangible assets. World may in due course end up with the MD11 but by a cheaper route.

tj

legalalien: evryone who had been on the property less than a year at the time of CH11 filing was laid off, not furloughed. Most of these guys were trained for the MD11 and World took a lot of them. Also a couple of senior people with a good crystal ball left to go to World.

From the latest fleet expansion memo from World: "Beginning in September, the first of three additional MD-11 freighters will join our fleet.
These aircraft previously were operated by Gemini Air Cargo, which filed for bankruptcy
and ceased operations recently. We already have letters of intent from cargo customers
who will wet-lease these aircraft under long-term contracts and we have hired MD-11
pilots from Gemini to supplement the crews we will need to operate the additional
equipment."

I was not aware that ATA ever flew DC-10's. I remember they had L-1011's, 757's, 737's, even 707's (while back). Were the DC-10's doing only DoD charters out of the AMC bases?

Actually, we had them on two separate occasions. Years ago ATA operated a -10 and a -40 (which burned on the ground at ORD). More recently, ATA got 5 of NWA's old -30's. I don't remember the exact date 701 came online, but we operated them about a year before the end came.

I believe they were one of many factors which brough about ATA's demise - the company had furloughed many of our mechanics, and on top of that they really didn't know the DC-10 like we did the L-1011, so dispatch reliability was abysmal. They were primarily used for DOD contracts, but I did spend about a week at LAX January of 2008 while we tried to operate them LAX-HNL. In my three attempts we never made if off of the gate due to maintenance issues. That was my clue that the end might be near . . .

Sorry for the thread creep, and my sympathies to the Gemini guys - hang in threre and best of luck . . .

There is a red haired dude from Minnei called Gordon H. that went from Pinnacle to Gemini. If any of you guys know him I would like to get in touch with him, please.

Thanks, and the best of luck to all

There is a red haired dude from Minnei called Gordon H. that went from Pinnacle to Gemini. If any of you guys know him I would like to get in touch with him, please.

Thanks, and the best of luck to all

I do know that he ended up at World DP. Hope all is well with you and yours.

Latest resources

Back