• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Gemini TA Vote

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
officially, I am angry, that our cfo gets more for a housing allowance than I make in a month. I vote no. show these guys in Dulles we have had it with their shenanigans. just read the threatening email from our DO I say shut it down Sam. its a bluff, they will never give anything unless we fight for it. the mentality of the mgt. is incredible. I would like to see some more concessions, lets fly in t-shirt and jeans, reflecting our new payscale, how about the uniform police issue altogether. I am so angry with my QOL at gemini. where will I go, who knows. I think now is where we make a stand for the rest of the industry, show them that enough is enough.

I just read th email from BJ ... It made me laugh ... how stupid they think we are? ... I voted NO and I will VOTE no again if they bring this again ... Gemini is a group of smart guys .... be together on this ... be UNITED.

""""Folks, I would like to give you a few thoughts on the Tentative Agreement (TA) which is now being placed before you all for your consideration and your approval.
First, I think it is of utmost importance for everyone to consider the environment in which these negotiations were conducted. Gemini entered into a Bankruptcy Action just as we were getting the negotiations underway. This was the proverbial 800-lb Gorilla that was in the room with us at all times whose presence completely colors the possibilities and outcomes of the evolution.
Second, please remember that this was a two-year reopener on a five-year contract. It was put in place when we originally negotiated the contract back in 2004 primarily in order to have the opportunity to deal with one nagging matter...the longevity freeze. We were able to accomplish the task of eliminating that freeze during these negotiations.
Third, this negotiation was conducted by a group of five Gemini aviators...three from the union and two from management. Yes, there was advice and counsel offered by some other individuals, but the proposals, discussions, agreements, disagreements, suggestions, solutions, and ultimately the decisions were made by five guys who all wear the very same wings that you wear on your chest. That is an important fact to understand because there was nobody negotiating in opposition to the pilot group or in opposition to management. What we had was five Gemini pilots all trying to arrive at a solution to what was an extremely thorny problem set, and who were ALL negotiating on behalf of Gemini Air Cargo in a spirited but positive manner. Just so you know, I rejected the services of a particular outside labor attorney because in my judgment he was far too into an adversarial mindset. He had recently worked on the USAir negotiations and was full of the "piss and vinegar" of that experience. I didn't want him on my team, as Gemini is a far, far different company and operates in a far, far different environment than the mindlessness I have seen among the majors, most of whom have been in Chapter 11 and most of whom opted for an "1113 action" to entirely dissolve their labor contracts. We simply were not having any of that going in to these negotiations.
Fourth, you all need to understand the business environment in which we are currently operating. The DC-10 fleet in particular is very much under the gun. The competition in Miami for the SoAm market is fierce, and our direct competitors there had a much lower wage scale than we did going into these negotiations and even as we do coming out of them. If we cannot compete directly head-to-head on a cost basis with them day-in and day-out, our DC-10 operation is severely threatened. If we lose some of our major DC-10 customers due to our cost structure being misaligned with the market forces, it is not at all inconceivable that the DC-10 fleet would be dry-leased to those who are looking for DC-10 airframes. And, just to put an exclamation point on that issue, we have already been approached by several just such outfits inquiring about dry-leasing our DC-10s. ("Dry-leasing", for those who are not familiar with the term, means leasing just the airframe, as opposed to "wet-leasing" which would include aircrews, among other things.) So the ominous implication was and is starkly clear...if we did not make some adjustments, which were modest in this case, the threat of our DC-10s and DC-10 aircrews going away in short order was clear and present. Realistically, you all need to understand that the same issue is still right outside the door should the the TA not be ratified. That would be a huge and potentially catastrophic mistake that I trust you are all far too wise to make.
Fifth, in the area of health care, Gemini went to an outside agency who deals every day in these matters, and who had recently conducted a survey of 500 companies as to their health care benefits. We found some rather sobering news in looking at their survey. Gemini was simply way out of line with what successful companies are paying as the company-funded portion of health care premiums. The ratio of 70% company payments-to-30% employee payments as it stood was simply unaffordable. This is an area where the crewmembers will be treated exactly the same as the rest of the employees and will not pay a dime more than anyone else employed by Gemini. The maximum amount of adjustment under the TA before you is a 10% change which would swing the ratio to a still-generous 60% company funded-to-40% employee funded premium structure. This is the direction the entire world is moving, and we opted to make a modest adjustment in this area that will apply to all Gemini employees.
Sixth, this reopener gave us the opportunity to clear up some areas where the original contract had left some gray areas and questions due the way the original language was crafted. We tried to make some positive changes which would make clearer to everyone the original intent of the language. These were not changes in how we operate, but rather simply represented the opportunity to tighten up the language where that was appropriate. I think that was accomplished by both teams in these negotiations.
Seventh, some vacation protection language was put into place which will accrue to the benefit of the crewmembers.
Eighth, nobody in Gemini's crew force will take even a penny of pay cuts, and in fact, most will get an immediate 3% pay raise. Everyone who was affected by the longevity freeze will have their original longevity restored by this TA. I do not think there is another company in Chapter 11 that has ever accomplished such a feat. If I am wrong about that, I would like to know what other company was able to do what we did here in our TA.
Ninth, we added a new $5/hr pay override for those MD-11 First Officers who are qualified IROs and who are so designated on the flight release to perform those duties for a particular leg. The represents a recognition of those who perform at this higher level of cockpit qualification, and can amount to a fairly sizeable addition to a monthly paycheck. Once again, I do not think any such additional payments have ever accrued to the crewmembers of a company in Chapter 11.
Tenth, and lastly, I want to strongly emphasize that the pilot group was very well and capably represented by the Negotiating Committee consisting of Capt Centrella, Capt Weichbrodt, and F/O Raufflet. The were disciplined, aggressive, creative, thorough, competent, innovative, and never for a second lost sight of the fact that they were representing the best crew force in the industry. That we worked hard together to accomplish the impressive results of this contract reopener under the very black cloud of Chapter 11 is testimony to their professionalism, dedication, and hard work.
I would ask you all to give the most careful consideration to these ten points as you contemplate your vote on the TA before you. I would not put my signature on any such TA if I did not think it represented the very best that we could do for you, our outstanding crewmembers. I will be more than happy to discuss any aspect of this TA or these negotiations with any of you at your convenience. It is now time to press forward and work together as a unified team to make Gemini the success we all know it can be as we emerge from our bankruptcy proceedings."""""

From the company to GAC crewmembers..

new terms
"reopener"

ideas

2/3 of the force may be out of a job... company will dump them..all F.E.'s DC-10 etc..

Not the "thanks for years of service" and sacrifce...hell I thank the company, have been caring in doing my duties. I will continue to care.. I plan to carry myself above all this...
WE care for the equipment and schedule, we have for years.. really give a dang.. I am sick that they threaten this.. God, we are more professional in our care for the company.. and this is the thanks..
Boy, I know where we stand.. I guess I am waking up late..Still care about the task and the company.. but this guy with 10 years.. at GAC.. finally understands what I, we are worth.. man sick to my stomach..a ploy? reality? little of both?.. all the same, to play the card, just a crappy way to treat people who have and continue to be professional and part of GAC's future..

Finally, of course this puts the DC-10 people against the MD-11.. divide the forces.. hell we have been working as a team.. and I've always thought the world of the DC-10 folks.. hell I was one of them.. it's the peope not the aircraft.. I like those people. they are friends. and no one is better or worse..

Last edited:
Like I said, it doesn't matter if you are from the 11's or the 10's .... we have to be UNITED ...we are rowing the same boat.

Well actually I think the most Jr. folks are on the MD-11, so if there were furloughs lots of re-training. Personally I'm not as bothered by the 3% as I am by the changes in the other sections..ie Increase in insurance co-pay, Sect.24 giving D.O. authority over WHO upgrades (does away with seniority in my opinion), Giving up on the Given month grievance, we may not win it but worth a shot, 4 days of carry in/over. 3% doesn't buy all that, I voted "NO"

What kind of BS letter is that...
Screw them if they have to shut it down, so be it, enough is enough, tired of all the BS that comes from Mngmt.
Lets stay united and show them the professionals that we really are.

Still can't beleive the threat! Sure, GAC will be a 4 aircraft airline.. I am sure all corporate structure is geared towards that. Makes sense, real top heavy etc.. all the maint.. hey make sure the maint. guys and loadmasters know about this as well. yeah, 4 aircraft operation.. I mean really if so broke.. how can we get more aircraft.. I think the above letter from GAC should be put out there for the industry to see. I hope the hell people don't fall for this!!

Desperate move if you ask me..

By the way, is we are status Quo.. then GAC.. has a 3% savings, remember they were putting up 3% more in wages.. hmm if we don't take the 3% then the company will have to dump airplanes.. if we take the "3%" we can grow and all types of lovely things will happen.. ahhh bliss.. does not make sense..

Pass this site and some of these posts to GAC crewmembers not on flightinfo.com

also be sure and e-mail your friends.. man wh will fall for this ploy? hail mary on the company's part..

Latest resources

Back