• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Gemini new pay scale

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
J. Basedow.. could not agree more regarding our MEC.. a class act guy, one of my favorites.. and that is doing a lookback at my whole career to date.
I will vote NO.. timing is off etc.. But I still think the world of the wonderful fellow we are talking about.

Classicdriver said:
Remember, there's a lot of pressure in the ACMI business, with all these new startups, Focus, 360, ect. They are charging low rates, flight times vs block times and accepting short term contracts. Ten years ago, a long term contract was 3 to 5 years, now their measured in months.
Agreed, but there has to be a line in that guys just won't cross. Apparently, the Gemini guys are preparing to draw it at $100/hr...a number that would leave many of them away from home more than half the month for about the same money they could make running a small lawn and garden service. At least running the lawn service would have them home with their families every night.

I'm only an interested observer to this conflict, but I wish these guys all the luck in the world, because the terms of their contract will ultimately affect every pilot group for the forseeable future, including those at UPS and FedEx. Once you've established the rate for an MD-11 Captain at $100/hr, the ability of any pilot to negotiate significantly more becomes largely one of clout. Don't think that the bean-counters at Brown and Purple don't notice stuff like that...and weigh, constantly, the short-term effects of a possible service disruption, to the long-term affects of saving a half-billion dollars a year forever.

What we need is another Alan McArtor to take the helm at the FAA, and prohibit air-transportation companies from running "virtual airlines." That, some contractual sacrifices in exchange for stronger language defining scope, and a re-definition of what constitutes "struck work" could make air cargo a pretty good place to be for the next 20-or-so years.

If they cannot afford to pay crewmembers widebody pay then they should not fly them. I will vote no because our crewmembers deserve a lot better.

Stay united...

Just watched the MEC presentation. They stated the company could only afford a 3% total increase in salary, divided by all the crewmembers. There is a threat that should we not sign this the company could petetion the judge to throw out our current contract.

If emerging from bankrupcy is based on this 3% total increase allowed (salary divided by all crewmembers), I see no threat of the judge not allowing us to emerge from bankrupcy based on status quo.. which is a 3% savings to the company. We could then negotiate after emerging from bankrupcy in late July.

Emerging from bankrupcy is not just tied to the cremembers, we like to think we're that important. Lenders, customers and our reputation in the industry are more important dirving forces behind the ugrency to exit bankrupcy.

Negotiate after exiting bankrupcy...after dumping 120-130 million in debt. it is harder to show that 3% is the best they can do.

I am willing to take my chances with the BK Judge should the company decide to try and void our contract if the TA fails.
I have said it before, I will say it again, this TA is absolute rubbish!!!!!!

What amazes me is that certain individuals within our MEC and Negotiating Committee our pushing hard for this to pass. Their tactics seem based on Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt (FUD).

fogrunner said:
What amazes me is that certain individuals within our MEC and Negotiating Committee our pushing hard for this to pass. Their tactics seem based on Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt (FUD).

Mgt tries to inject as much emotion into the negotiating process as possible. Two emotions are highly prized; Fear and Greed.

With fear and greed mgt can get any TA to pass. It breaks down into thirds.

Mgt uses fear on the bottom third. They say, "vote yes or you'll lose your job". So the bottom third, fearfull for their job and ability to put food on the table vote yes on a crap contract.

Mgt uses greed on the top third. They say, "vote yes and we'll get bigger planes, or we'll get MORE bigger planes so you'll get better trips and make even more money." So the top third, greedy to make even more money to put even more food on the table vote yes on a crap contract.

That only leaves the middle third to think clearly and vote properly, NO to a crap contract.

My only point is beware of emotions in contract negotiations and leave emotion out when voting. Don't be too affraid or too greedy to vote NO.

I just watched the video presentation. With my 3% i think I am going to use it to get and stay drunk until 2009!!

The idea of its the best we could get beacuse of the BK is hogwash!!!! If they try to pull a section 1113 on us there are rules to this. The judge cannot and the company cannot say this is what we can pay. The judge looks at what it cost to crew those aircraft. The payscale in the TA do not reflect current market rates for the aircraft.

If I went to a grocrey store to buy food and said this is all I can pay you because my employer is in bankrupcy, they would throw you out on your ear!!
I have been flying proffesionally for almost 15 years and involved in aviation for over 20. I have worked my up from sweeping hangers to a mechanic to a pilot. I will not take this contract. I would seek employment elsewhere before taking this. My experience is worth mot than this. As far as I am concerned the Managment staff at Dulles can take this crap and shove it firmly up there harvard educated ass.
Respectuifully
round motor.
And if i wanted my god dammed name on this i would

After 4 years with a payfreeze theres no way a judge could side with Mgt. I'm at the point were we just shut it down and move on. The MEC should be ashamed for even bringing this to the table. Should be no less than longevity plus retro. I'm saying hell no.

Latest resources

Back