Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Future plans for the 717 at the new SWA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

carl p

Reformed Freight Dog
What are you WN guys/gals hearing over there? Will they stay in ATL or move some out west?

Can you say asset sale? Have you seen anything from SWA/SWAPA that says they've reversed their staunch opposition to a SLI arbitration in order to settle the inevitable SLI dispute?

Good luck dealing with SWAPA. Get EVERYTHING in writing as you go forward from SWA and the folks at SWAPA.

I don't mean to rain on the potential of this deal, but... SWA was looking for larger airplanes (737-800s) not smaller (717s) and has historically refused to allow for an arbitrated SLI. What changed, except SWA's need for better I.T. and growth into Atlanta?

Of course I could be wrong, but SWAPA's public statements don't indicate that an equitable solution is likely.

Good luck!

Can you say asset sale? Have you seen anything from SWA/SWAPA that says they've reversed their staunch opposition to a SLI arbitration in order to settle the inevitable SLI dispute?

Good luck dealing with SWAPA. Get EVERYTHING in writing as you go forward from SWA and the folks at SWAPA.

I don't mean to rain on the potential of this deal, but... SWA was looking for larger airplanes (737-800s) not smaller (717s) and has historically refused to allow for an arbitrated SLI. What changed, except SWA's need for better I.T. and growth into Atlanta?

Of course I could be wrong, but SWAPA's public statements don't indicate that an equitable solution is likely.

Good luck!

Dont worry, just because we screwed the pooch, doesnt mean the deal between Air Tran and SWA will be bad.

We, plain and simple, screwed up (water under the bridge). But since you bring it up: Look what we are contending with now, oh wait, Ill say it before you do, "at least we have jobs". Thats all it is, its a "job", it could have been a career. Nice job.

CYA

You are just trying to stir the pot

Of course I could be wrong, but SWAPA public statements don't indicate that an equitable solution is likely.

Good luck!

Clearly flame bait! SWAPA has not issued any statements on how the SLI will be approached. You are just trying to start a bunch of hate postings. I challenge you to provide any articles from SWAPA concerning the SLI that are anything but neutral in nature. GO FIND ANOTHER PLACE TO SPREAD " HATE AND DISCONTENT".

i honestly think animal tail was keeping it real. Good on him. I think Frontier guys at this point wish they could do a do over.

i honestly think animal tail was keeping it real. Good on him. I think Frontier guys at this point wish they could do a do over.

He is a class act, I have flown with him in the past and hoped we would fly again in the future. Hope all is well AT.

The 717 are a nice replacement for aging -300 and -500 aircraft until the leases run out. Boeing may even offer them some more at fire-sale prices they can't refuse, but probably not if it would result in less new -700 and -800 deliveries . . . . Might be a deal too good to pass up!

AirTran has several dozen smaller-market cities that are profitable with the 717, but won't fill the extra 20 seats on a -700 and so the 717 is more economical to use for those markets. They are also great for "shuttle" type service, so maybe they'll find some intra-Texas or intra-California service, if they can spread the 717 MX parts out west.

As for an "asset sale", AirTran is profitable, there's no reason to take it apart. That wasn't the case with F9 and if that was SWA's intentions, they wouldn't start off by announcing an SLI. The SLI is the last thing to be negotiated in this instance, not the first, as it was with F9. Sorry you guys got hosed, and I mean that sincerely, but I don't think that is the case this time.

Last edited:
I agree--the 717's will be at SWA for at least a while. They might be transitioned out 5-10 years down the road--but not an asset sale. There's too much overhead in place that would sit idle at a huge cost instead of making a profit. SWA tries to keep things simple--but tries even harder to make money. That's what it'll come down to--making money.

Good luck!

Sorry your so bitter. Your MA guys shoved you under the bus. Good luck today with the seniority outcome. I am sure you will much happier at Republic. Trust me when I say you would have really liked being here. :)

Once again welcome to the AT guys

Latest resources

Back