• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Future Pilot Pay will be at School Teacher Wages

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
First, your entire premise is wrong. I won't speak for Rez, but I certainly don't believe that all management are 100% wrong. Some managements do things incredibly right. Although I think they take the "touchy feely" thing a bit far over there, the SWA management team knows how to treat their people. They've always believed that "if you take care of your employees, they'll take care of the customers, and that will take care of the shareholders." That is the proper attitude. Very few managements nowadays follow that philosophy, but some still do.

Now, your second premise is also completely wrong. The idea that unions can "make" their companies do anything, even with "FDR days" labor laws is a complete fantasy. Unions have never had the upper hand. It's always been simply to what degree management has the upper hand. In the end, we are always left to negotiate, and we always have the most to lose in a self help situation.

All I ask for is a level playing field, where the RLA is allowed to function as it was originally intended. There should be pressure on both sides, not just on labor's. Status quo provisions should apply equally. Ridiculous interpretations of job actions need to go away, as the original drafters of the Act never intended for it to applied as the courts have.

That is all that I ask, pilotyip. I don't expect government to give me anything, or for management to roll over. I just want a level playing field.

Trust me, I'm all for high wages for airline pilots. The pilot wages at the top drive the wages paid all the way down to corporate pilots, Part 135 pilots and even CFI's. I'm afraid, however, that that's just not going to happen unless there can be unity in the pilot union ranks. Look, ALPA is disintegrating and losing members, i.e., US Air. So you see, unity is an unlikely reality with the "ME generation" running things, especially the pilot unions. As an example, the Regional pilots have been treated as second class by ALPA leadership and by many of it's members too. Sometimes the fellow union members at the Regionals are even blamed for the lowed wages at the majors. As such, there will always be a division, rather than what is needed, as in Unity. The pilots at the Majors always look at the pilots at the Regionals as suspect replacement pilots. Sorry but with that atmosphere there can be little chance of unity.

So in the end, it is going to be "Supply and Demand" that will most likely need to drive wages up. Until then, this industry is doomed to school teacher wages.

If and when there is a pilot shortage wages will go up. Only then will airline pilots pay escape it's present lows. And when that time comes some type of pilot union must be collectively representing that airline.

If you happen to be working for one of the few majors where pay is still at some level of reasonableness, congratulations because your members must have a degree of Unity. If that unity is lost, you too will join the Regional pilots at school teacher wages.

Good luck! The industry is counting on you to keep it together.

But my question is this: Is pilot unity an oxymoron in the era of the “Me Generation?”

Last edited:
The "era of the Me Generation" is coming to a close. YOU were a member of it, and Age 65 was its crowning "achievement." Good riddance.

The "era of the Me Generation" is coming to a close. YOU were a member of it, and Age 65 was its crowning "achievement." Good riddance.

Sorry, but the "Me Generation" is you. Take care. LOL.....

Who is part of Generation Me?Generation Me describes anyone born in the 1970s, 1980s, or 1990s -- in 2006, this means people between the ages of 7 and 36. These are today's young people, those who take it for granted that the self comes first.

Hi!

In Nothern WI, starting teacher pay ranges from about $18K-$26K per year.

You do NOT get summers off. It may seem that way to outsiders, but it is not how it works in reality.

cliff
NBO

Sorry, but the "Me Generation" is you. Take care. LOL.....

Who is part of Generation Me?Generation Me describes anyone born in the 1970s, 1980s, or 1990s -- in 2006, this means people between the ages of 7 and 36. These are today's young people, those who take it for granted that the self comes first.

Keep telling yourself that, gramps. The rest of us see reality.

Latest resources

Back