• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Future of the Airline Industry

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That's before I talked with my cousin who said he wouldn't let any family member on a GJ flight. That's also way before he told me that having GJ as a previous employer on my resume is like having a "f**king battle axe in your head". So ya at one point when I was stupid I said GJ would be a good place to work. Now that I realized my mistakes I take that back hardcore.
I just go a job flying a G-V. After getting the job and spending some time with the chief pilot he told me a little bit about what they look for. He has a son that started out as a pilot for TSA, he said that any resume that came across his desk from any GJ pilot went right into the trash. So while many say that it does not affect them getting jobs when they leave GJ, I know of at least one place that will never be infected by them. Oh and he also refuses to hire Riddle grads.

In my experience with the commuters, there I came across many different types of people. People who made their money elsewhere (pay was not important to them), people with significant others who made the money in the family (Pay was not important to them) people who had retired (Pay was not important to them) and the eager, low time flight school grads who were going to knuckle down through the low pay because they were different from the other pilots who were bitching (The low pay didn't matter to them either)

On the flipside...why don't the regionals like hiring high time guys? They've been around the block a few times and the effects of the honeymoon have worn off. They want to get PAID for their job.

Last edited:
With todays gas prices and a little creativity i think you should be able to get your commercial multi for less than $40k. But then where will that get you? So you will need your CFI CFII MEI... and then that will get you maybe a $15k/year job. If you are good and work hard you can make more but to spend over $60k for everything. Plus your costs with no income if you do this full time... say $20k. You are well on your way to having $100k in loans. For a chance at a job where you can make $20K first year, $28 second, $35 third...

Do the math and you will find that to pay off the $100k in loans you will need to live off $20k/year for 8 years before you are paid off. If you are lucky and upgrade you might be able to bring that number down to 7. 7 years of living on $20k for a job with no job security, lots of nights on the road in crappy hotels. And to work with many many gay people....Kit Darby...the dream is a nightmare.

My advice is to go to a community college and become a plummer or electrician. 1 year at school, a lot less student loans and every night at home with your honey.
Actually there are a few places with 200 dual given and just a CFII you can easily make 45 to 60 K your first year.
For someone new to the industry this is great time to work one of these jobs for a few years and make much more than a regional pilot and pay off a large part of their loans in the mean time.
Taken the sad shape of the regionals, jobs, QOL and overall poverty of it's pilots, being a career flight instructor has benefits such as being home every night, job security, especially with some of the foreign airlines and realistic wages up tp 70 K in less than 2 years.

Actually there are a few places with 200 dual given and just a CFII you can easily make 45 to 60 K your first year.
For someone new to the industry this is great time to work one of these jobs for a few years and make much more than a regional pilot and pay off a large part of their loans in the mean time.
Taken the sad shape of the regionals, jobs, QOL and overall poverty of it's pilots, being a career flight instructor has benefits such as being home every night, job security, especially with some of the foreign airlines and realistic wages up tp 70 K in less than 2 years.

Can you PM me the name of this place and any more info you could give me would be greatly appreciated. I'd kinda rather take the CFI route for a year or two.

Can you PM me the name of this place and any more info you could give me would be greatly appreciated. I'd kinda rather take the CFI route for a year or two.

Th CFI can make more than the regional pilot.
But as far as this job making $70k in two years. Look at the market. Lots of guys on the street with thousands and thousands of hours. This guy isn't the only one who knows about this job. You're resume with 300 hours will be filed at the bottom.

Never hurts to try.

JAL out in CA is looking for instructors on their Bonanzas...I believe they start around $40k/yr.

Th CFI can make more than the regional pilot.
But as far as this job making $70k in two years. Look at the market. Lots of guys on the street with thousands and thousands of hours. This guy isn't the only one who knows about this job. You're resume with 300 hours will be filed at the bottom.

Never hurts to try.

Thanks Dwight!

S imple
I nbred
U ndergraduates

Hey Jacka$$ 80% of the school is from Chicagoland area far from inbred. What school did you go to if you went to one at all?

Latest resources

Back