Future of Jumpseat

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flyboy

Since 911, the jumpseat has been reserved only for a pilot that is employed with that airline or its express carriers (my understanding). I know that just about any airline will accept another's pilots and put them in the back. I would imagine that this becomes a giant problem for commuting pilots and sold out flights. Is there any legislation in the works with the unions to get things back the way they were? It seems like this issue has just died.

The problem is that too many idiots out there, who know NOTHING about airline safety, think the JS is a security risk. Or on the other hand, those who don't commute just don't give a darn.
Let's see, on 9-11-01 four airplanes were hijacked by TICKETED PASSENGERS. What better way to save the world than by taking away the jumpseat from pilots.

What p*sses me off, is that what could be better for security than to have an additional uniformed pilot, even if from another airline, in the cockpit, who could help prevent cockpit intrusions?

"Government intelligence" is a contradiction.....

The only problem I've ever had jumpseating was with united!! Their silly policy about only allowing one off line jumpseater. It appears this varies from Capt to Capt!! Those that commute those that don't! Those that commute will take as many as they can. Those that don't commute will only take one.

Well, it appears those united guys that commute will have it a little harder.

Horizon is changing their jumpseat policy. The new policy there will be whatever the jumpseaters company policy is, will reflect how many from that company will take!!

So when the 3 united commuters show up trying to get on a flight, only one will get on!! After all, that is uniteds policy!! You hate to see guy's get screwed, but fair is fair!! I'm pushing my company to do the same. When enough of those united guys get bumped like some of us have, then they will go in and push their management to change the policy.

In talking with a UAL agent at PDX last week, he told me it's not their computer system, as some have said!! They can list jumpseaters under a number of non-rev codes, so long as the flight isn't over sold, they can list that ACM against a seat!!

I'm hoping more will follow Horizon's lead and change their policy. Once enough stranded united pilots complain, and put pressure on their peers, will thing's change!!

We are in the process of getting offline pilots back in the jumpseat. The CASS system is in the procees of being developed. It is a system that electronically verifys your identity. It has been approved be the FAA and TSA and the big airlines are working on the logistics of it all. I see us all back in the cockpit with-in a year or two.

Who Else???maybe??

Would this restore the J/S to off line dispatchers as well. Though our numbers are very low in comparison to pilots, there are alot of us that also commute to work. It would sure help us out in our quest to get to work on another company flight as before.

Thanks for remembering us, the grounded airmen...:D

flying4food said:
The only problem I've ever had jumpseating was with united!! Their silly policy about only allowing one off line jumpseater. It appears this varies from Capt to Capt!! Those that commute those that don't! Those that commute will take as many as they can. Those that don't commute will only take one.

I've got to stick up for United here...

I live in the Denver area and jumpseat on United quite often. With a couple of very rare exceptions, they have all been great to me. It seems to me that pre 9/11, there was some arrogance. Since then however, it's been my experience that the pilot group as a whole has gotten a little more humble. I used to fly for a United Express carrier, and had the privelege of sitting up front a few times, and like I said, I was always treated very well.

As far as only one jumpseater, I know for sure that's true for American, Delta, and I'm pretty sure also for Northwest, Continental, etc. And as for variation between captain, every now and then, there will be one willing to stick out his/her neck and allow more. Don't count on it though. And by the way, they will allow as many jumpseaters as there are jumpseats, i.e. airbus, 747, 777, 767 = 2 jumpseats, everything else = 1.

My experience has also been the they will do their best to put you in first/business, which is more than I can say for AA. I believe it's company policy to put all jumpseaters/nonrevs in coach.

I know that I have been treated very well.

It's so stupid that a few years ago a Fedex jumpseater tried to kill everyone on board. Nobody did anything. .
After 9-11 ticketed pax hijacked four airplanes and now we have a problem with airline pilots......:rolleyes:

I heard that the jumpseat will be open within 6 months......but I heard that a year and half ago. Hopefully it comes around soon cause it sucks watchin the plane pull off the gate with an empty jumpseat just cause it was full in the back.

Latest resources

Back