• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Future of Jumpseat

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Horizon is changing their jumpseat policy. The new policy there will be whatever the jumpseaters company policy is, will reflect how many from that company will take!!

Where did you hear this?? I heard nothing from management reflecting this. We have always taken multiple jumpseaters. As long as we have an agreement with your company and if there's a seat in the back you're welcome. That's straight out of the FOM and I haven't gotten any blue pages (revisions) saying otherwise.

Shortapp said:
We are in the process of getting offline pilots back in the jumpseat. The CASS system is in the procees of being developed. It is a system that electronically verifys your identity. It has been approved be the FAA and TSA and the big airlines are working on the logistics of it all. I see us all back in the cockpit with-in a year or two.

This would be great if the TSA will actually turn it on.....however we are still trying to fugure out who's gonna pay for it. The CASS servers run through ARINC and they want some bling bling.

The other problem is the CASS system is only going to be availible to ATA members at first. So COEX will not be able to participate even though we are twice the size of some that will.

Good Idea!

Horizon is changing their jumpseat policy. The new policy there will be whatever the jumpseaters company policy is, will reflect how many from that company will take!!

I have recommended this to our jump seat ALPA rep and he is looking into it. It is only fair to reciprocate in the same fashion that we are treated. I am sick of trying to get on an AA flight and turned away with a 50% load factor only to have 5 of them in the back of our aircraft. The jumpseat should never be used as a tool, but in this case, it may just open up some of these rediculous rules in place to include our own Delta. We at ASA carry unlimited JS's, and we get used alot by those same companies that only allow one or none (cargo). OK, I am done now.:p

Don't get mad at the cargo guys. All the major ones that go anywhere have an unlimited JS policy. It is not the fault of the pilots that their aircraft are not equiped with the required equipment to ensure that JS'rs don't have access to the flightdeck (once off-line pilots have access to the cockpit again, cargo will be able to reciprocate).

A reciprocal JS agreement is very 'an eye for an eye'. Although perhaps fair, I would strive for a higher standard, that of 'treat others the way you would like to be treated.' If you would like unlimited JS's, than you should lead by example.

I admit it is frustrating to hear pilots from certain carriers say that the JS is something they must win in negotiations, and they are unwilling to scarafice something of their own for the benefit of others - but I still maintain that the high road is the right road to take.

Think of it this way: regionals have industry leading JS policy. "It's about time mainline raised the bar to meet the regionals!"

You won't hear that one on this board very often.

Tim47SIP posted:

"I have recommended this to our jump seat ALPA rep and he is looking into it. It is only fair to reciprocate in the same fashion that we are treated. I am sick of trying to get on an AA flight and turned away with a 50% load factor only to have 5 of them in the back of our aircraft. The jumpseat should never be used as a tool, but in this case, it may just open up some of these rediculous rules in place to include our own Delta. We at ASA carry unlimited JS's, and we get used alot by those same companies that only allow one or none (cargo). OK, I am done now."

Stand by for heavy seas brother. I've brought up exact equal reciprocity a couple of times particularly when it comes to the freight guys. Every time I did I was called everything but a child of god. I agree with you but the majority of the folks on this board sure don't. Wait and see......

Tim47,

It's attitudes such as yours that cause problems in the first place. I used to fly for a 135 cargo operator that would let any 121 airline crew jumpseat with us regardless of whether they offered a reciprocal aggreement. In the long run this ended up opening a lot of reciprocal aggrements once word got out to each company's jump seat coordinator about how accomodating our company was with jumpseaters. If you go around saying, "they don't give us what we want so we won't give them what they want," all you do is foster bad relations between your company and everyone else. If you take the higher road and let everyone ride regardless of how they treat you, perhaps you will end up as a pioneer opening up other companies agreements to be as accomodating as yours. After all, that is the ultimate goal isn't it? I think they tought us all in kindergarden to treat people as we would like them to treat us. Takes time but it's a much better policy for you and everyone else in the end.

Jumpseat policy education.

Once the Jumpseat restrictions have been raised to what ever the new rules are, I sure hope the airlines educate all the Gate agents on who is allowed to J/S, namely that dispatchers are permitted to ACM in the cockpit just as Pilots are.

Many times I have been stopped by gates agents that said I was not allowed to J/S which makes for a frustrating situation when your trying to humble your way to the crew for permission.

Of course the priority system should be spelled out as well, It is understandable that a company pilot going to work should have a higher priority than someone just heading home. Then the senority date etc......Then I feel it should be first come first served for non company employees, pilot or dispatcher alike, but we will see what shakes out, i'll be glad for anything at this point.

As a dispatcher, I am always appreciative of this prevledge, I always ask to speak to the Head F/A and both Crew members to request a ride, Assuming I get past the Gate keepers and always always volunteer to help in any way I can, thanking them when I get to where I'm going!!!

:D :D

Last edited:
Where did you hear this?? I heard nothing from management reflecting this. We have always taken multiple jumpseaters. As long as we have an agreement with your company and if there's a seat in the back you're welcome. That's straight out of the FOM and I haven't gotten any blue pages (revisions) saying otherwise.

I never reveal a source, you should see it within a month or so!!!!

I was jumpseating from Louisville one morning with NW, and there were at least three other pilots from UPS in that flight. I also heard that NW doesn't have any JS restrictions.

I heard the same about Continental and US airways but I am not sure.

I am also sure that AA and DL and UA only accept pilots as Jumpseats are on the airplane.

The rest of the other companies take multiple JS's.

Why shouldn't they?? :eek:

Scube

"It's attitudes such as yours that cause problems in the first place."

Well that didn't take long. :rolleyes:

Latest resources

Back