• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Furloughs at FLOP's????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
92 Beechjet SIC's + 12 Hawker SIC's for those who care about the breakdown.

538 Pilots
-102 (or 22%) furloughed in inverse seniority
---------
436 Remaining

The only good news is that they will get 6 weeks of pay, PTO payout, medical through January, and they retain "recall" rights for 7 years.

btw, I doubt there was 20 to 30 Management axed, but there probably were 20 to 30 Staff axed. I don't don't know if they have recall rights

I'm really sorry to be reading this, guys. It's actually made me feel good to bump into FLOPs folks at the FBO's lately... seems like there has been a definite improvement in your spirits with the recent changes. This announcement could not have come at a worse time of the year... I wish the best for you and your families.

The most important thing the company and union can do now is pass the contract. If they don't, morale and productivity will sink back to 2006-2007 levels. Nobody wants that.

That would be good for the furloughed guys as well, kind of telling them "hang in there, they'll be a good job waiting for you when you get recalled".

I think Avantair's P180 would probably do great as many semi-wealthy people or corporate operators downsize their current owned aircraft and look for something cheaper (while still retaining the benefits and efficiency of private aircraft). The wealthiest people will always want to fly bigger airplanes regardless of the economy.

From what I hear, that is exactly what is happening. 80% of our new owners are coming from the competition.

I knew a guy who owned a pizza shop in Chicago. I'd ask him if he ever wanted to get into fine dining. He said, "no". Having a pizza shop was perfect. When times were good, people who would otherwise never go out to eat now had the money to go out and they'd eat pizza. When times were tough people who used to go out for steak would scale back and now eat pizza. So no matter where the economy was he had a client base.

That's the way I see Avantair. Good times equals us getting new owners off the street. Bad times equals us getting new owners off the competition.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Sorry Freedom but I wouldn't classify this as a "move", as you say. Folks, this is just the beginning in our industry. Expect this to be the bowling ball effect in our industry. This is the beginning of what could be potential stagnation in our market for a long while. The "F" word has been talked about for weeks now at flex with no one even giving any evidence that there will ever be layoffs. This is exactly the condition of the market right now; fear. Our customers are not stupid and, the reduction in flying at all fractionals right now is confirmation that that fear in the marketplace has now translated to our market. We can only hope that next year will be the turnaround--which is being predicted around the end of summer.

Flops might have been the first but, I am sure we won't be the last to furlough. I bet the customers of the other frax took a financial hit just like the Flops customers did and will reduce their amount of flying.

B19 will blame furlough on the union in 5,4,3,2.........

Gotta love the message board Deisel

Diesel said;

What's up with the sorry it sucks but go join the military?

Diesel,

I was just pointing out an option for some people that may be looking for away to make a living while they are furloughed?

What type of retard advice is that.

Well I don't know? Why don't we see what you have to offer?

Hmmm guys just lost their jobs and their lives are thrown into whack and you say, "hey join the military you'll be gone during the most stressful time of your life"

Again, I don't know, what do you have to offer?

Wouldn't that take some stress outof there life having a years worth of employment?

WTF.

I am now dumber from reading that post.

Sorry man, I was sincerely trying to let some former military pilots know there may be an opportunity available for them.

I have posted the same information during the good times as well.

Maybe my writing skills aren't that good. It's often hard to communicate in type.

What's up with the sorry it sucks but go join the military? What type of retard advice is that. Hmmm guys just lost their jobs and their lives are thrown into whack and you say, "hey join the military you'll be gone during the most stressful time of your life"

WTF.

I am now dumber from reading that post.

Diesel,
Joining the reserves during a furlough has a long tradition among former military guys. This recession may be a long one. If the past is any guide, furloughs may be long and some companies won’t come out the other side. Some guys may be independently wealthy or have few obligations and be able to flip burgers for a year or two, and then possibly start over for pennies. For those able and used to accepting the risks and the sacrifices, serving their country again in the military is a viable option. During the early and mid 90’s “pilot depression,” guys were jumping at any available reserve or guard position, particularly those which involved activation and a full time paycheck. I don’t consider any of them “retards.” Semore pointing out these opportunities is no different than someone pointing out that XYZ corp or ANACathEvaJAL are hiring. Every job has its benefits and sacrifices. Military flying generally has more of both.

I posted this back in Spetember. I wonder if the fallout is begining.

Everything the Airline's do lately is good news to Fractionals. But bad for the pilots.:nuts:

In light of evrything going on on Wall Street, I think we need to ask ourselves who we are hauling around on our aircraft. Many of the 40-50 ish age clients in and out of HPN and TEB are involved on WS. Just google them. With bonuses going down or away, how many are going to be able to continue with the luxurys. I really don't know, but my gut feeling is not good. I hope this is just paranoria.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back