• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Furloughs at Delta and Northwest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I hear ya man. I was just wondering if there were going to possibly be fences. If there are not, then a lot could be different.

Bye Bye--General Lee

The unofficial fences should be the time between merger and SOC. How long that will be i have no idea.

Last edited:
Fact is that there will be no fences and DAL has found away around the time between DCC and SOC. That in fact may save your hide Superpilot. You may in fact get to come over to that DAL operating cert by default in the first AE which has displacements on it.
It will probably be a CD for your INDOC. That way it will work fine with you showing up for 88 or 738 school here on VA ave right after the first of the year.
After reading the JPWA and all of the side letters it is very clear that they have set up a formal process for this. By canceling your displacements at NWA what they have effectively done is save money on less training events. It will either save them money shipping some out the door, or save them money as there will be displacements on the first joint AE on some NWA equipment. With openings on our you guys will get to bid what you want from day one. Fact is that in reality there will be no such thing as a fence. Both sides have gone to great pain to assure that.

Fact is that there will be no fences and DAL has found away around the time between DCC and SOC. That in fact may save your hide Superpilot. You may in fact get to come over to that DAL operating cert by default in the first AE which has displacements on it.
It will probably be a CD for your INDOC. That way it will work fine with you showing up for 88 or 738 school here on VA ave right after the first of the year.
After reading the JPWA and all of the side letters it is very clear that they have set up a formal process for this. By canceling your displacements at NWA what they have effectively done is save money on less training events. It will either save them money shipping some out the door, or save them money as there will be displacements on the first joint AE on some NWA equipment. With openings on our you guys will get to bid what you want from day one. Fact is that in reality there will be no such thing as a fence. Both sides have gone to great pain to assure that.

Who knows what will happen. one thing that is for sure is the NEW DAL is going to do everything it can to reach the synergies it needs to succeed. I dont see furloughs happening especially with the 737s, 777, and 787s coming all in the next year.

Since I wasn't displaced does that mean i get to stay on the DC9? ;)

With openings on our you guys will get to bid what you want from day one. Fact is that in reality there will be no such thing as a fence. Both sides have gone to great pain to assure that.

Now that is not what I wanted to hear. I guess I feel there should be at least one more bid for Delta guys to move around the system and get where they want before everything is opened up. That is if what you say happens. I'm seeing the ER FO slot I was looking at going out the window right now.

There you go using logic....

Rather hit the streets than fly the DC 9. Would be easy to find work elsewhere. Maybe return when the job is worth returning to fly at:)

Hey you DC 9 drivers I am sure you guys enjoy the aircraft. I jumpseated on the aircraft and I found myself zoning out.

Really some of those aircrafts need to be in the Air spot for tourist in the capital.

We need to be catching up with the rest of the world and we have the desert for good reason:smash:

Sorry if anyone is offended. My sentiments.

Last edited:
MEI and Speedbird:

Call your Reps and call Crew Resources.

I don't think a Delta guy will see a DC9. It is a shrinking fleet and the transfer will be in the other direction. Some NWA guys will see everything from the 777 to the E175. Most likely we stagnate. Worst case 737, or MD88, until that goes away.

We are in the same boat and I even went on a job interview in preparation, but, it doesn't appear status quo will be knocked out from under us. Fuel prices are a wild card.

Not getting the "RJ" flying (CRJ900, E175) was a failure. Those airplanes will perform the majority of DC9 flying.

Last edited:
MEI and Speedbird:

Call your Reps and call Crew Resources.

I don't think a Delta guy will see a DC9. It is a shrinking fleet and the transfer will be in the other direction. Some NWA guys will see everything from the 777 to the E175. At worst, I think you might stagnate on the 767.

We are in the same boat and I even went on a job interview in preparation, but, it doesn't appear status quo will be knocked out from under us. Fuel prices are a wild card.

Thanks for the positive feedback. I gave a buddy of mine at Northwest my word that I would never fly a DC 9 except in an emergency. I have had my fair share of old technology. Would pass on the excitement .

Rather hit the streets than fly the DC 9. Would be easy to find work elsewhere. Maybe return when the job is worth returning to fly at:)

Hey you DC 9 drivers I am sure you guys enjoy the aircraft. I jumpseated on the aircraft and I found myself zoning out.

Really some of those aircrafts need to be in the Air spot for tourist in the capital.

We need to be catching up with the rest of the world and we have the desert for good reason:smash:

Sorry if anyone is offended. My sentiments.

C'mon, Speedy! Where's the love?

The 'ol DC-9 isn't that bad! You flew a Beech 18 and a King Air 90 right? Sheet, the -9 is a Cadillac by comparison! (Well, ok, a '68 Caddy)
And if you find yourself "zoning out" in a 9, then you must be absolutely comatose in the right seat of that 757.

Hell, I'd fly a lawn chair attached to a motorized hang glider if they'd keep paying me, but I'm not particular, I guess.

Not to worry, though. Like Fins pointed out, no one is going to make you fly one. Rest easy tonight...

Now that is not what I wanted to hear. I guess I feel there should be at least one more bid for Delta guys to move around the system and get where they want before everything is opened up. That is if what you say happens. I'm seeing the ER FO slot I was looking at going out the window right now.

Have you read the documentation the MECS have put out?

What about you Speedbird34?

Crack a few beers, pull up the lawnchair and turn on the bug zapper and read ALL of it. BOTH MECs did a good job with this agreement considering our negotiating environment. :beer:

Fact is that in reality there will be no such thing as a fence. Both sides have gone to great pain to assure that.

Ridiculous.
How much crap do we both have to eat to further this idea of making each other happy? I'm totally for some sort of fences. Nothing that lasts forever....a 2-3 year fence..or be very very conservative with AEs. What the company does not want nor need is lots and lots of displacements as soon as the SLI is done, the pilots are one group and the first AE comes out. Paying for those displacements...folks having to move, etc costs $. If we are going to allow both groups to start bidding like drunken gamblers, then IMO it should be limited. Limit the AEs..or...put up fences!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back