• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Furloughs at AA, you know they are coming

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I would say that a bigger reason that there will be no pilot furloughs at DAL is because they, meaning DAL management, need us to play nice because of the merger. They already have a large group of pilots pissed about it (NWA).

There won't be furloughs at Delta, and not even the mention of furloughs at Delta until... the merger is approved.

Then, the carnage begins. I'm guessing 20% of pilots (that's 20% of the combined total of pilots after the merger is complete). Now which side of the fence those 20% come from, well that's gonna be fun to watch.

"But management said, blah blah blah and we have furlough protection in our contract blah blah blah and we're taking deliveries of 3 new airplanes blah blah blah" Whatever. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Word from VP Hetterman yesterday at the Training Center is no furloughs planned but it'll take a month for the fall staffing numbers to be crunched. Retiring MD80s/A300s combined with incoming 737s and pilot retirements causes a huge training bump that requires high staffing levels.

I concur, no furloughs IMO. However, there is no second recall class in June, only 17 in the first (and only) June recall class, and that will probably be the last recall class this year.

Don't forget to vote republican.

Actually, not only have gas and oil prices almost doubled, food costs increased, and consumer confidence at it's lowest, it's all been done with a DEMOCRATIC run Congress. Gotta love Pelosi and her 100 day promise.

I concur, no furloughs IMO. However, there is no second recall class in June, only 17 in the first (and only) June recall class, and that will probably be the last recall class this year.

maybe no furloughs in the next few months...however, the price of oil is an unknown variable; my sources say the parking of 40-45 s80's is only the tip of the iceberg... now is the time for guys to have contingencies and exit strategies in place.

just my opinion...

What you meant to say is there won't be any Delta furloughs. LOA 19 sees to that.

They'll just park the redtail DC-9s and 747s and furlough the NWA guys.

What you meant to say is there won't be any Delta furloughs. LOA 19 sees to that.

I wouldn't get too comfortable. That no-furlough clause you (or anybody) had after 9-11 didn't work out too well now did it.

No-furlough clauses aren't worth the paper they are written on. Especially since it talks about merger-related furloughs.

I hope we can get past this without any pilot furloughs but, lets be real....AA said today they will cut 6000 jobs. Delta stated they will layoff 2000 a few weeks ago. If those numbers do not include pilots, I would be shocked. We all know they will. How much, another question. But, I would not be a happy guy if I was hired within the past 2 years at ANY major airline (except SWA). You will most likely lose your job IF oil and the economy continues this way. The industry is very sad and just google any airline name to see how bad it is. AA is a hair away from filing Chap11. I like AA and hope they can pull it off but, Chap11 is not the end....it might be a beginning and the relief they need.

Latest resources

Back