• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Furlough Letters Being Sent out at CAL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Seems like a merger is all but announced. I really didn't think it would happen.... CEOs don't jump ship for no reason.... I wonder when they will announce it?

It's unforutunate, but I think it's becoming clear why Larry decided to persue other goals at this time. Merger or not, me thinks forecasts are turning out to be worse than expected.

Even LUV can't predict what their financial outcome will be for the near term.

Seems like a merger is all but announced. I really didn't think it would happen.... CEOs don't jump ship for no reason.... I wonder when they will announce it?

And in a merger...we MUST put language in the combined contract that ALL furloughed UAL and CAL pilots are returned to the property before anything is signed....and credit is given for time out on furlough.

And in a merger...we MUST put language in the combined contract that ALL furloughed UAL and CAL pilots are returned to the property before anything is signed....and credit is given for time out on furlough.
Who is WE in your example? Didn't the USAIR east guys try to do this?

1. it's a shot over the bow at alpa - since thats where the head alpa guy works

2. unlike UAL they at least wont publish a numebr and go beyond that

3. when a ceo leaves a job that pays a crapload of money there's a reason they leave-- at that point int heir life-- they really only care about self worth-- not venturing out and seeing if they still got it and try to bring along a new company

4. ive read the articles talking about the debt and other figures that say cal will have to declare bankruptcy unless they can renegotiate their agreements-- much like united the credit card companies run that and they will agree to it b/c both airlines are their cash cows.

5. ual sucks -- another 7% and the furlough just keeps getting longer and longer

6. i dont think ill agree with the rest rules requiring that many more pilots- if the airlines keep cutting capacity that in combination with the winter months coming means.... more furloughs and less jobs--- they appear not to see beyond 1-3 quarters for staffing.

It hasn't been a shot across the bow, more like through the hull over the years. Like the UAW or other unions, there's very little that can be done during difficult financial conditions. It's all about mitigation at this point until quarter to quarter profitability returns.

Unlike UAL, CAL is required to report how many they're letting go due to NJ state law, otherwise, I don't think we'd be hearing about this until the absolute last moment. The bottom line is we know it will be 308 or something less than that number. Any more the company is fined.

This industry is like running from a grizzly. We don't have to be the fastest (ie most liquidity), we just have to be faster than the slowest company to survive (USAIR, UAL). Our market cap is about a third of Delta's, yet we have over 2 bil in cash (rough figures, don't lambast me if they're off a tad). I don't think bankruptcy is in the cards for a while.

I think we'll consolidate in some shape or form with UAL, but I think we're waiting until UAL completely self destructs and we pick up the pieces. It's cheaper that way.

Bottom line is CAL will run us down to the absolute minimum because they can, and it will preserve cash. Too bad mgt won't share the pain in that aspect.

Time to Rant

I am as disgusted as you. Keep in mind that the company is expecting to "save" $100 million in with these cutbacks. Larry Kellner will be paid $20 million by the end of this year ($10 million salary plus another $10 million severance). ONE unit is being paid 20% of cuts gained from the backs of 1700 human beings. This is criminal.

Welcome to America!! Remember, Larry is the venture capitalist, the entrepreneur, the "management asset" and not the "labor liability". This is what American business is all about, making a few 'risk takers' wealthy at the expense of the many cowardly dummies and then listen to the TV hacks and the $150K-$175K feaux rich wannabe's make excuses for the status quo.

This is the beauty of laissez faire capitalism with it's unrestricted markets and lack of regulation. Why we all know a bunch of clean cut, white boys who go to church every Sunday (and the right church at that) would never do anything wrong. This is the way it is supposed to be, there are those meant to serve and those meant to lead. We have to reward our management 'talent' or we will lose them.

Can anyone else think of an excuse I left out? Oh, one more thing, if you don't like it, you don't have to live here ( this I heard for the last 8+ years. Of course many of those people who mindlessly parroted that crap don't like Obama but they still live here.)

I won't be getting a furlough letter this time but I am out of hope. I am prepared to clean up the cockpit one last time so I can hand it over nice and clean to the United pilot that will soon occupy the space I have been in the last 5 years. What's the big deal, I handed over my space at TWA after 7 years there.

I have been accused by my fellow pilots of being part of an entitlement generation. We felt entitled to not sit reserve for 10 years, to upgrade to captain before we turned 57, to make more than a McDonalds employee as a newhire. If I ever complained about these issues I was firmly rebuked by my older colleagues that I knew the rules when I got on with CAL.

Interestingly enough, many of these colleagues are now flying at ages 61, 62, and soon 63 years of age, even though they knew the rules when they hired on with the airlines 20+ years ago. Apparently having a 'right' to a part-time job that pays upwards of 200K a year isn't some sort of entitlement sense. More cannibalism by those who have already had their share (who decides who's share is enough?-says the Limbaughs of the country) at the expense of those waiting in the wings and struggling.

Who has any hope left out there? Not only about this profession, but about any profession in this world that is rapidly evolving. What are my kids supposed to do to get by? We don't want to provide them something like healthcare, fine, but we don't care if they are provided employment opportunities to obtain healthcare either, especially if we can help out our own 401K's returns. Where do we think all this is going to lead? I have seen the gates on the gated communities that many of the Kellner's of the world live in, and I don't imagine those partitions could hold back an angry mob of the hopeless.

Sorry this is so off message with the furlough thread. The post by HHH tripped a switch inside me. I suppose my somewhat liberal underlinings are showing through and I accept all the criticism such displays entail in what is a predominantly conservative profession which necessarily promotes the status quo. This status quo is killing all of us, not just these 308 latest victims.

To my friends and colleagues at CAL who got the letter, my most sincere sympathies and best wishes. I will be joining you shortly I am sure.

1. it's a shot over the bow at alpa - since thats where the head alpa guy works

2. unlike UAL they at least wont publish a numebr and go beyond that

3. when a ceo leaves a job that pays a crapload of money there's a reason they leave-- at that point int heir life-- they really only care about self worth-- not venturing out and seeing if they still got it and try to bring along a new company

4. ive read the articles talking about the debt and other figures that say cal will have to declare bankruptcy unless they can renegotiate their agreements-- much like united the credit card companies run that and they will agree to it b/c both airlines are their cash cows.

5. ual sucks -- another 7% and the furlough just keeps getting longer and longer

6. i dont think ill agree with the rest rules requiring that many more pilots- if the airlines keep cutting capacity that in combination with the winter months coming means.... more furloughs and less jobs--- they appear not to see beyond 1-3 quarters for staffing.

So United announced a decrease of 7% international flying for the last quarter...did they tack on a number of pilots that will be furloughed? I did not see any.

Another spot-on post, Kugelblitz.

Latest resources

Back