• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

NavinRJohnson

Registered Gorer
From the Union:

07-21-09

Earlier today Continental management announced that they would be reducing jobs at the airline by an additional 1700 employees. Although there was no mention of pilot positions in the announcement, ALPA was notified late this afternoon that the company will be sending out as many as 308 letters to pilots notifying them of a possible furlough. These letters are required by New Jersey state law.

Make no mistake about it; your Union feels that job cuts among the pilot ranks are not necessary, nor are they prudent. While scheduling struggles to staff flights each day as evidenced by their continued manipulation of our work rules, there can be little doubt that we are far from over-staffed, or even well-staffed. Cutting pilot jobs at this time, as the FAA is in the midst of rewriting the flight time and duty regulations which could have a significant effect on our staffing needs simply makes no sense. Given that crew fatigue was the impetus for the rulemaking, there is little doubt that the rest rules will likely generate the need for more pilots not less.

Further, we will be joining the Star alliance this fall as an immunized partner. The anticipated growth from this move alone would be indicative of maintaining or even increasing our pilot ranks.

Keep in mind that during the last furlough event, CAL sent out 500 letters to pilots warning of possible furlough, but in the end only furloughed 148. The notices being sent out are a state requirement that carries stiff penalties if underestimated. While CAL has notified us that 308 letters will be sent this time to meet the legal requirements, we have not been informed of the actual number of pilots to be furloughed. However, we expect that shoe to drop soon; when it does, you can be assured that our voice will be heard loud and clear: pilot furloughs are not the way to go. We will continue to fight for your jobs.

We will keep you informed during the days to come as events unfold.

That Sucks the Big One. And I thought we were lean already....

Navin

Last edited:
Unless CAL offers another early out package, I would assume they're serious about 308 more. That ALPA spin about only 148 out of 500 on the last set of letters really is a moot point unless we grease up the exit doors for the senior folk.

Unless CAL offers another early out package, I would assume they're serious about 308 more. That ALPA spin about only 148 out of 500 on the last set of letters really is a moot point unless we grease up the exit doors for the senior folk.

I am as disgusted as you. Keep in mind that the company is expecting to "save" $100 million in with these cutbacks. Larry Kellner will be paid $20 million by the end of this year ($10 million salary plus another $10 million severance). ONE unit is being paid 20% of cuts gained from the backs of 1700 human beings. This is criminal.

I expect very few over age 60 will take any early out, regardless what might be in said package.

Every one of them I have heard talk in crew rooms, cockpits, see NO reason to leave before 65, or older if "they" can get it higher.

Thanks to Leo... "SB"

CAL even allowed the over 60 instructors prior to Dec. 2007 to remain on the seniority list in violation of the law but since the law isn't clear they just make it up as they go.

Even when the pilot turns 65, the real company men will get put into the training department. The sim building probably looks like a nursing home already. That alone will make an extra 300 furloughs.

CAL would have doubled the last early out money if they thought it would have doubled the participation. Problem is the screwballs that make up our over 60 pilot coworkers don't have their sh_t together. They don't know whether they can retire or not. I swear, if CALALPA would have a road show about how to balance a checkbook half our falsely senior bretheren would suddenly realize they don't have to work. It's about that simple. All they know is, their working is hurting others, so it must be good for them?! We need to have a little come to Jesus moment with the 400+ on our list who are working past 60. If they're going to work, it's time to scuttle their lump sum.

The worst part of it all is that we have a lot of jackarses picking up open time like it's going out of style. And it's not only the senior guys. Junior guys picking up is ridiculous. Work yourself right out of a job you idiots.

The forluogh sucks for now but these guys will be able to make up for it with the extra 5 years.

Latest resources

Back