Funny SkyWest story

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ILOVEBEER

After my new employer sent in for my PRIA records, I received a bill in the mail for $50 from SkyWest as an "admin fee" or something. Well, I am rarely at home so I never saw these bills and my wife never said anything to me about them and she just decided not to pay them. They then sent her a letter that said that they were going to send us to collections if we didn't pay them. So my wife, not wanting this to affect our credit, paid them. The problem is that she made the check out to "SkyWest Aholes" and in the memo section wrote "for Jerry's sex change".

When she told me about this, I laughed uncontrollably for a few days but didn't think anything about it. Well, the other day we received a FedEx letter from SkyWest saying that due to my "unprofessonal remarks about their chairman" that my employment status has permanently been changed to "inelligable for rehire" and this change will be reflected on my PRIA records.

Now I'm not laughing as hard; still laughing, but not as much. I guess this could realy get interesting on my next PRIA inquiry.

Edit - BTW, I left SkyWest in Oct. 2006, and now, a year and a half later....

Last edited:
Heh. Nothing like burning bridges, eh? Sounds like Skywest really knows how to hold a grudge.

Well, you could probably pursue this if you really wanted to. If you log onto the FAA website, you can follow the links to the PRIA rules.

While Skywest is allowed to charge a fee, it cannot be "excessive" or of such an amount that they're clearly using this regulation to turn a profit.

If you get your full packet from the FAA, for example, it costs about 3 bucks. Every piece of paper the FAA has ever signed on you back to your private pilot's license.

If an enormous, inefficient bureaucracy can do it for $3 for your entire flying, sounds like Skywest is WAY overcharging for a couple of years that you worked there.

Last edited:
This is one area where SkyWest apparently has the intent to abuse PRIA... again, a shame ALPA is not over there to help. Here is the verbage of the FAA AC:

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Your previous employer(s) will be asked to provide records pertaining to you (other than those related to flight time, duty time, or rest time). They will provide records on your performance as a pilot concerning your training, qualifications, proficiency, and professional competence, including any comments or evaluations by check airmen; any disciplinary actions that were not overturned; and any release from employment or resignation, termination, or disqualification from employment. Additionally, under PRIA, your former DOT-regulated employer(s) will provide records of drug and alcohol tests performed under 49 CFR part 40, even if the employers were not aviation entities. For example: (1) if this is your first job as a pilot, but you had previously driven a commercial vehicle and were subject to DOT-regulated testing, your hiring employer must request your drug and alcohol test results from your previous employer; (2) if this is your first job as a pilot, but you had previously served in another safety-sensitive function such as flight attendant or maintenance duties, your hiring employer must request your drug and alcohol test results from your previous employer.[/FONT]
I think I would call the PRIA program manager, explain that you did not write the comment and provide a copy to the FAA's program manager who can be reached at (405) 954–6367.

I do not like the spirit or intent of SkyWest to abuse a safety program. Jerry Atkin would have probably laughed if he had seen the check personally, but I imagine some cat rancher in HR was offended. Apparently this person was too dumb to notice it was not your signature on the check.​

In any event, SkyWest sending out threats is entirely inappropriate.​

Also, FWIW, the ASA division of SkyWest does not charge for PRIA responses and I've never heard of an employer paying a fee to get one.​

Last edited:
Please call the FAA on this abuse and tell them you want some sort of action.

Your wife's a keeper!

$50 isn't that about the price of those "Jesus Jammies" they sell down there in Utah ?

Latest resources

Back