Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

av8tor19

Hello,

Since we are in the middle of thunderstorm season, an interesting scenario came up:

An aircraft is dispatched under 121 from A to B with and alternate of X.

A thunderstorm (summertime airmass type) rolls in over the destination and is estimated to be there for about 30 minutes. It just happens that ATC puts you in to holding over your alternate. What's the bingo fuel?

A. X to B +45 minutes
B. X to B to X +45 minutes
C. X to B +??? minutes

When I got this a dispatcher also quoted 121.631 (interesting read) and slanted towards B. I have used A in the past, but it might change.

Why would it change? Does it matter if you're over X or BFE or Timbuktu? Ya gotta have enough fuel to go from PPOS to B to X + 45. If PPOS happens to be X, then it's X -B - X + 45.

The answer is B

Hello,

Since we are in the middle of thunderstorm season, an interesting scenario came up:

A thunderstorm (summertime airmass type) rolls in over the destination and is estimated to be there for about 30 minutes. It just happens that ATC puts you in to holding over your alternate. What's the bingo fuel?

A. X to B +45 minutes
C. X to B +??? minutes

When I got this a dispatcher also quoted 121.631 (interesting read) and slanted towards B. I have used A in the past, but it might change.

IFR Bingo Fuel is calculated with the following acronym:

D - Present position to Destination Fuel
A - Alternate Fuel
R - :45 Reserve
C - Contingency Fuel (On the 320 I add 1000)

So it appears that B is the correct answer if you are holding over the Alternate.

B.

The 45 minutes is for planning so you would technically be legal if you had to be towed, in the dark, at either X or B. But, I think you'd have some 'splaining to do if you declared a fuel emergency after holding over the planned alternate.

Answer A. would only work for me if there was now NO probability of diverting from B.

Last edited:
Fly to the destination, miss the approach, fly to the most distant alternate, and 45 minutes of flying at last cruise burn rate.

Hello,

A. X to B +45 minutes
C. X to B +??? minutes

This comes down to the judgement of the captain. If the T-storm moves out of the way and I now have a clear shot at the destination and the weather is now pretty good I'd probably go with A. Once you're in the air it's all your fuel to do with as you see fit.

Scott

The :45 minutes is for planning purposes only. Once you depart, you can use that fuel. You don't have to land with :45 minutes of fuel in the tanks.

The :45 minutes is for planning purposes only. Once you depart, you can use that fuel. You don't have to land with :45 minutes of fuel in the tanks.

WOW! You have no idea how happy I am to read this!

Most guys think that you have to land with 45 minutes of fuel in the tanks.

It's there for a reason fellas, use it!

True, but now you're "min fuel" which isn't something I like to do on a regular basis. Of course you know that... just saying...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back