• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Frontier to cease Republic ops......

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
... the federal and states get close to .50 per gallon for doing absolutely nothing to get that gas to you. Sorry for steering away from that thread title, I just had to rant.

As I am sitting in the hotel right now the wholesale price of gas is...$3.02 (CNBC ticker). Look at your local gas station and figure out how much the feds and your locals are collecting in taxes. A quick look out the window shows here it is about 54 cents. Be careful who you think is getting the windfall from high gas prices.

If the 27 cent number is right that is about a 9% profit. Not really all that much. Check out the profit for Disney I believe about 30%. Who again is taking advantage of people?

Last edited:
I am tired about hearing about "Big Oil," do you know who "Big Oil" is? It is me, you, your mom and dad, or anyone that has a 401K retirement program. It is the stockholders! So everytime I hear Hillary or Obama talk about taking "Big Oil's" profits, they are taking MY retirement.
The CEO is just the head of the company, does he make alot, yes, if I was in charge of a Billion dollar company I had better be making millions.

Hillary and Obama are said to be the ones to unite us, but they survive on dividing us!

By the way, I can't stand McCain either, unfortunately my vote is for the candidate I don't like the least.

THINK for yourselves!

I didn't finish my math problem earlier. If 27 cent profit = 9% then 54 cent profit = 18%. Is it the oil company or the gov't that has this all f'ed up?

Like it was said let's think for ourselves. If a certain political party increases taxes the companies will still make their 9%, the price will go up and the gov't will make more than their current 18%.

Let's raise taxes that will solve all our problems.

One other thing some among us think that a certain political party is more "labor friendly." That same party wants to kill our economy with higher taxes. Our jobs (and others like the UAW) rely on discretionary cash and the taxes will put a huge dent in said cash. Sounds "labor friendly" to me.

End of rant need to go find an airplane to fly for my daily carbon footprint.

Last edited:
Some Americans are skeptical on this point, I know. So I direct them to last year's Supreme Court decision. The court ruled unanimously that oil companies have not been colluding to set prices.
Oil prices are high today because the economies of huge nations like China and India are developing rapidly. More oil is being demanded in the world market and there are few new sources of supply.
Hurricane Katrina destroyed a lot of oil processing capacity around the Gulf of Mexico too, so there has been less oil being processed. When less oil is supplied, gasoline prices rise.
What does the average oil company make today on the sale of a gallon of gas? Ten cents.
The federal tax on gasoline, on the other hand, is nearly twice that. Then there's state gasoline taxes. (If you live in New York, for example, you're paying 68 cents a gallon in taxes.)

If Exxon is gouging us at ten cents a gallon, what exactly is the federal government doing to us at 18.4 cents a gallon?

Latest resources

Back