• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Frontier secures DIP!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So when it's YOUR head on the chopping block, we'll see how strong your convictions really are...

btw: Ultrarunner: You weren't agreeing with me, you were agreeing with greenbayfan, whom I was quoting (in a ghetto sorta way). I for one am not for a general "cleansing" of the airline industry.

I've been with an airline that asked for paycuts with the promise of growth and more aircraft, never got said aircraft (pilots gave in), months later asked for more paycuts to "stay out of BK" (pilots gave in), went into BK months later, started laying off pilots, got DIP financing with stipulations on more employee paycuts (pilots gave in), got layed off myself, and had to go into a new field of work for 18 months until that field of work got bad too only to get rehired by another airline .....so I think I know a lot about what the Frontier pilots are going through, that's why I can honestly say that the pilots at Frontier are better off without Frontier....

quote from greenbayfan:

...."so I think I know a lot about what the Frontier pilots are going through, that's why I can honestly say that the pilots at Frontier are better off without Frontier...."

Bitter???????

Been there done that too. Maybe we were at the same place. Same song and dance. So I understand where you're coming from on that one. Surprised????

Here's the difference: Frontier is now and has been an awesome place to work. The "whole different animal" thing....it's true. You gotta live it to understand it. The question then is will it continue to be so in the future???

We're going to find out the answer very soon. To the extent that we have any control we will determine our own fate thank you very much. If we degenerate into the same song and dance routine as everyone else then you won't have to worry about it....we will implode. We may not negotiate the big deals but we've carried this company on our backs for a long time. They lose the employees............they lose the airline. It's a surprisingly simple equation.

Last edited:
Frontier is now and has been an awesome place to work. The "whole different animal" thing....it's true. You gotta live it to understand it.

Maybe, I have to take your word for it, but the bottom line is that our profession needs an overhaul, and unfortnately the only way that is going to happen is for there to be less competition. It's survival of the fittest at this point, and while Frontier may be a a "whole different animal", my only point is that the animal is better off dead at this point, because survival is slim under the current conditions. But again, time will tell. I just would like to see the pilot profession pay what it should, not be held hostage by $89 fares....

Some valid points to be sure. I even agree with some of your statements.

However, you still haven't answered my question. It's ok, I don't expect you to at this point.

Good day.

Toobdrvr,

Trying to out someone (tell you which airline he works for, who he is etc) serves no point here except to threaten a person's job.

Its actually a pretty low class question somewhat akin to a mobster threatening to break someone's legs.

As far as the thread goes. DIP financing is good for the employees of Frontier. Congrats to them. It is, however, a disaster for the rest of the industry.

1st, it preserves a lower paid contract for pilots, which will be used by every other management as a "See we need that to be competitive".

2nd, the fact that such a no hope case as F9 got DIP means that other managments don't need to be afraid of not getting DIP in their considerations before entering bankruptcy simply to break contracts.

SO its a VERY dark day for the rest of the industry.

Cheers
Wino

Last edited:
Some valid points to be sure. I even agree with some of your statements.

However, you still haven't answered my question. It's ok, I don't expect you to at this point.

Good day.

I'm still not sure why you think who my employer is matters to this conversation. I am speaking from experience as a previously furloughed pilot that worked for a company in BK who needed DIP financing to continue, that is all that is germain to this thread.

I simply want our profession to get back to being fairly compensated, bottom line. Just like the airline that had furloughed me, Frontier is attempting to survive, I get that, but for the betterment of the industry as a whole, it is my belief the contraction of the airline industry is what is ultimately needed for our profession. So while some on this thread have extended congratulations on this new financing, I can't honestly say the same, because I believe the extinguishing of Frontier is best for our profession as a whole.

read on another forum today that there was a deal this morning to sell an additional 6 a/c to some russian airline. Any truth to this?

To receive the second installment, Frontier must obtain from the pilots and mechanics "new or revised collective bargaining agreements or amendments . . . containing concessions necessary to meet labor cost reductions."
The pilots and mechanics unions agreed to temporary wage and benefit reductions in May. The pilots' pay cut was 14.5 percent.
It's not clear if Frontier seeks to make those reductions permanent or whether it wants additional concessions.

Pilots have to be about the dumbest sob's on the planet!! Balls the size of peas as usual. When have wage concessions ever saved an airline? They only put off the inevitable! If an airline isn't going to make it, the pilots could work for free and the airline will ultimately fail. So I wonder how much this perseus LLC thinks a pilot is worth, because frontiers pay rates are not even within the realm of stellar! I can't believe you all would even accept less.

Local leaders of the Frontier Airlines Pilots Association and the International Brotherhood of Teamsters Union could not be reached for comment Monday.

Of course they couldn't! They are an airline pilot labor union, all they are doing now is cowering from management, and at the very least, minimizing the damage the senior pilots will have to endure. This is merely labor union 101.

Latest resources

Back