• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Frontier almost pulls a "Sully"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What planet are you from? Sully is a national hero and has done more for this profession than any Southwest pilot ever has. The actions he took after both engines went dead were textbook and because of this 156 people are still alive.

Good heavens! You really believe that don't you? Let me spell it out for you. THE PLANETS WERE ALIGNED THAT DAY! Plain and simple. Most, if not all, crews with a little experience on the 'bus would have performed similarly. Why? No IMC. No night. No winds. No crowded river.

BTW Have we heard yet if the "Sully" advanced the thrust levers to TOGA to see if there was anything left in the #1 engine? I remember reports coming out that the #1 was at 35% N1. That's approx inflight idle...

Great job Frontier pilots! You actually got the a/c back in one piece. Something the "Sully" didn't do...

Good heavens! You really believe that don't you? Let me spell it out for you. THE PLANETS WERE ALIGNED THAT DAY! Plain and simple. Most, if not all, crews with a little experience on the 'bus would have performed similarly. Why? No IMC. No night. No winds. No crowded river.

BTW Have we heard yet if the "Sully" advanced the thrust levers to TOGA to see if there was anything left in the #1 engine? I remember reports coming out that the #1 was at 35% N1. That's approx inflight idle...

Great job Frontier pilots! You actually got the a/c back in one piece. Something the "Sully" didn't do...

Who gives a sh*t about the a/c? Everyone lived in the Hudson deal last time I checked. I'm sure Airbus can build 'em another one to replace it.

Sully & crew still did a great job, regardless of what the Monday AM q'backs say. I love all the "I would have done this/They should have done that".......GMAFB.

Last edited:
What planet are you from? Sully is a national hero and has done more for this profession than any Southwest pilot ever has. The actions he took after both engines went dead were textbook and because of this 156 people are still alive.

CODE BLUE!!!!!!!

-"Someone please come to room 156 STAT!!!! This patient is coding, and needs the stick removed from his ass RIGHT NOW!!"

I think the story has been told all around planet Earth. Would you like some pom poms?

Not entirely true. There was a Southwest dude about 5 years that had a dual flap spindle failure at 400' in a -200. It was at night. In my book that one upped Sulley, not to take away from what he did, though.

Don't forget they were also in IMC shooting the LOC BC into Harlingen. After they got it back on the ground, dispatch had a swap for them and they took another bird back to HOU. I personally would have been cleaning out my underwear at the hotel. I have flown with this guy many times. A real class act in addition to being an absolute blast to spend a 4 day with. One of those ones who has the whole crew laughing all day.

Chuck Norris wasn't running checklists.... He had the checklists running themselves.

the previous post said the rest. #1 engine thought about quitting but after the ol' Norris stinkeye thought better of it.

R U Serious Kernal?

Funny the Boeing test pilots crashed the sim 31 consecutive times trying to recreate the double spindle failure profile in HRL. They still claim you can't fly out of a spindle failure and have nothing but priase for our guys who did it.

Just think if the news would have got ahold of that one everyone would have been talking about how SWA flies our 737's single pilot with only an F/O much like they made it sound that Sully did it all himself.

Latest resources

Back