From PPrune... Iberia flight "chancing it?"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

aa73

"We were parked up in Boston last night when it began to snow,having been forecast for a number of hours.
We immediately called for de-icing to be ready once we were all closed up,but we then had a delay due to ground handling company staff shortages.
In the meantime this gave us a perfect seat to watch with astonishment when the Iberia A340 parked next to us called up for push and start.
ATC asked whether he had de-iced and he replied that 'we do not need to'.
I immediately replied with a 'yes you do!!' as the whole of the A340 was covered in snow,with visible deposits on all surfaces including the tops of the wings.
But this was ignored and they pushed back,sarcastically waving as they did.
I discussed this with the co pilot and we both agreed that this was madness.
I called ATC and just stated that the A340 was covered in snow,as we had a birds eye view,hoping they would intervene in the interests of safety.
But that was the last we heard,and they took off.
Quite possibly the most unprofessional bit of aviation I've ever seen. "

The incident appears to be legit, apparently it was the talk of the BOS station that day. It's bad news to regularly jump another Captain's case, but in the case of massive contamination I'd appreciate the heads up.

At my previous job we (regretably) often relied on reports from the aircraft behind us in line to verify the efficacy of the deice job.

What you don't realize is that for the Spanish barons and counts that fly for Iberia, Ice is simply a nuisance. They are not bothered by the inclemency's of nature like the common man

Wasn't it an Iberia A340 that recently tore a couple of engines off and plowed the grass/ils equipment in Quito?

Hey b747 did i meet you at ben guron or snn the other week?

gotcha... tlv has a ton of eye candy. :)

Yep, they went right off the end of the runway and closed the airport, and we ended up stuck in UIO for another day.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1291345/M/

if you cmpare the safety record of Iberia VS Atla's Iberia'a happens to be much better. ( based on the number of accidents/incidents andthe number of hours flown). Don't forget the splendid job you guys did at campinas.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back