• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Freight dog vid...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not very smart if you ask me. Must be a recent grad with his first new job. Yeah, lets go taxi in unplowed snow drifts after coming out of a warm hangar where anything that is possible to freeze up the brakes or gear could happen. Then, after we do that, lets take a trip around the pattern with no windshield anti/de-ice just so we can make a video and scratch our fingernail through the "thick ice" (oh wait.. it was "hard ice"). Brilliant...lol.

Im in for 5 bucks that says this pilot doesnt make it past 3000TT if anyone wants to start a pool.

But hey, it was a cool video. Now i know what its like to be a jackass.

Last edited:
RJPilott said:
Not very smart if you ask me. Must be a recent grad with his first new job.

No, those 600 hour wonder grads are flying at the regionals. Probably yours. Takes a little more than that to fly freight, last I checked.

Yeah, lets go taxi in unplowed snow drifts after coming out of a warm hangar where anything that is possible to freeze up the brakes or gear could happen. Then, after we do that, lets take a trip around the pattern with no windshield anti/de-ice just so we can make a video and scratch our fingernail through the "thick ice" (oh wait.. it was "hard ice").

How do you know the hangar was warm?

A little snow never hurt anybody. Not everyone is cool enough to fly an RJ.

Im in for 5 bucks that says this pilot doesnt make it past 3000TT if anyone wants to start a pool.

But hey, it was a cool video. Now i know what its like to be a jackass.

:eek:

Go back to your shiny jet.

Actually, our most junior FO has been with the company for almost 5 years. Im with Independence Air.

And it doesnt really matter if the hangar was warm or not (although, looking at that windshield freeze up in a matter of seconds on taxi, i think its safe to say the snow was melting then re-freezing on the windshield). Brakes also warm up just fine to splash all kinds of melted snow, just enough for it to freeze in the most unsuspecting places after rotation (what were the words used? oh yeah.. "hard ice"). Seen it happen many times, had it happen to me. Although we werent taxing in unplowed snow drifts at high taxi speed.

But i guess this flight is justified, had to get that cool video footage with all that "hard ice" on the windshield he landed with. He must be the next Bob Hoover... haha

Last edited:
RJPilott said:
And it doesnt really matter if the hangar was warm or not (although, looking e the next Bob Hoover... haha

Actually is does matter. Ever heard of something called supercooling (in relation to airframes)?

If your a/c has the proper protection the effect can be negated but this guy did not even have a heated windshield or glycol dispenser (as far as we can tell). Kinda dumb in opinion.

Thedude said:
If your a/c has the proper protection the effect can be negated but this guy did not even have a heated windshield or glycol dispenser (as far as we can tell). Kinda dumb in opinion.

Exactly. Type IV comes to mind.

Actually, if he had been in a cold hangar, the windshield probably wouldnt have frozen over as much. The snow would have just bounced off. However, that doesnt solve the problem for the gear as brakes are applied in snow drifts. I can only imagine what the upper surface of the wing and horizontal stab looked like after seeing that windshield freeze up like that on taxi. (uh.. hello? Mr Hoover...contamination check? Clean aircraft concept? do these words mean anything?)

It also looks like Mr Hoover decided on a high speed runway exit after landing. The whole airplane shook nicely as he hit the snow bank. I suppose thats one way to get off the runway into banks and drifts. lol

Last edited:
RJPilott said:
(although, looking at that windshield freeze up in a matter of seconds on taxi, i think its safe to say the snow was melting then re-freezing on the windshield).

Didn't see it freezing up on taxi. Must have missed it.

I didn't mean to jump on you. I don't think the video was made to boast, I think it looks like typical winter flying (with the exception of taking off with no W/S protection, and the highspeed exit off the runway).

I sure as heck wouldn't knowingly fly without something to protect the windshield. It's bad enough trying to land looking through that stupid little shoebox-sized hotplate at night with a 15 knot crosswind, let alone the little defrosted spot this guy had. :)

Watch as he starts his roll. Not for me, no thanks. And i have done many seasons in the Northeast and Southern Canada flying King Air's and Chieftains. Never did something like that.

His approach and landing reminds me of when my defroster didnt work on my beater cars. Leaning forward and side to side to peek out a 5 inch hole. This video should be in the YGBSM forum. lol

Central Air's Commanders do have TKS for the windshield, but only the pilot's side.

Does Central Air have a clean aircraft concept in their ops specs? And if they do, what parts of the Commander are designated for contamination check prior to departure?

Latest resources

Back