• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Freedom Pilots Loading Bags

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
And where does it stop? Do you fuel your own airplane? Do you generate the releases? Do you provide your own ATC clearances and separation? Do you help do the payroll? Do you take and make reservations? Maybe you can really be cool and dump the lavs!

You lose credibility when you resort to extreme slippery-slope examples...although it'd be nice to be able to print your own releases at every outstation. I think UAX currently does this at many of their gateways...

Maybe your are practicing that 3 year old kid behavior of "Hey Mom and everone else, LOOK AT ME!"

Not really...I didn't do anything special and don't expect any kudos for my actions, although a cookie or two would be nice. If I were a passenger and saw somebody doing the things I did, given the situation, I'd be thankful somebody, ANYBODY seemed to give a damn about running an airline.

The passengers saying "thanks" was more than payment enough.

Carry on Dude! J.O. needs a whole army of guys like you! Meanwhile, the ramper is laughing his arse off when he sees that you will do his job--you have been well trained but misguided! Maybe you should stay away from the expresso at Starbucks!

I worked at Air Wisconsin, far from being a bottom-feeder. I didn't push wheelchairs or assist with carry-on bags every trip...but when I felt it prudent to do so in order to provide good customer service I took the initiative to make it happen.

Working as a team to provide a quality product people want to use and an experience they want to repeat...what a novel concept in the clusterfark known as the airline industry...

Folks,

KEEP THIS IN MIND

While loading bags may seem to be very commendable, going the extra mile, taking care of your customers, there is a HUGE drawback.

Injury.

Say, a back injury from lifting a heavy bag. This type of injury occured while you were doing something that was not considered as a duty for your assigned position (FO or CA). Something that was not your job, and you get injured while doing it. You are covered if something happens while doing part of your duty on the job, not while doing something extra that wasn't your job.

Good luck getting out of that can of worms!

Tell that to the NetJets/CItationShares and Avantair Crews who get paid a alot more than you do about throwing bags.

And where does it stop? Do you fuel your own airplane? Do you generate the releases? Do you provide your own ATC clearances and separation? Do you help do the payroll? Do you take and make reservations? Maybe you can really be cool and dump the lavs!

Maybe your are practicing that 3 year old kid behavior of "Hey Mom and everone else, LOOK AT ME!"

Carry on Dude! J.O. needs a whole army of guys like you! Meanwhile, the ramper is laughing his arse off when he sees that you will do his job--you have been well trained but misguided! Maybe you should stay away from the expresso at Starbucks!

Are you serious? Do you have ANY common sense? Or are you just stuck up and lazy? You must be a lot of fun to fly with.

Tell that to the NetJets/CItationShares and Avantair Crews who get paid a alot more than you do about throwing bags.

Isn't loading bags part of their job description though? Therefore, they would be covered if they had an injury. Guys are just saying that it is a gamble if you are not covered.

whether you are trained or not has absolutely nothing to do with whether you are covered is something goes wrong or you get hurt. That is a lame excuse and is not correct at all. Helping out once in a while is definately part of any job.

whether you are trained or not has absolutely nothing to do with whether you are covered is something goes wrong or you get hurt. That is a lame excuse and is not correct at all. Helping out once in a while is definately part of any job.

As a former union rep that dealt with this crap all the time, I can assure you that you are most certainly not covered when you are doing things outside of your job description. If you get injured while throwing bags, then workman's comp doesn't cover your injury. If you injure a wheelchair passenger while pushing them up the jetbridge, then that passenger can hold you personally liable, because you were not trained in the operation of the wheelchair and you were not authorized to handle that job in your job description.

Sorry man, if the company holds out on me (in a myriad of ways), I'll hold out on them (i.e. going out of my way.)

Slinging bags as a 121 pilot? Get real dude. That's a job which is already spoken for. Maybe in 91 or 135 (depending on the outfit) where you cater to a client and not the common cattle trash.

As a former union rep that dealt with this crap all the time, I can assure you that you are most certainly not covered when you are doing things outside of your job description. If you get injured while throwing bags, then workman's comp doesn't cover your injury. If you injure a wheelchair passenger while pushing them up the jetbridge, then that passenger can hold you personally liable, because you were not trained in the operation of the wheelchair and you were not authorized to handle that job in your job description.

My brother is a worker's comp manager for a major manufacturer. He says that you are absolutely wrong.

My brother is a worker's comp manager for a major manufacturer. He says that you are absolutely wrong.

I doubt you even have a brother that works in this area, but I'll humor you. Your brother's employer may not challenge these cases, but many other employers do. The law is clear: if you engage in activities at work that aren't part of your job, then you are not entitled to worker's comp payments. Your employer may be benevolent enough to let you get by with it, but if they decide to challenge your claim, then they'll win. Since most airlines aren't exactly benevolent, then good luck on them not challenging you.

I non-reved on Freedom Flt 6211 (JFK-CVG) a few days ago and during boarding BOTH the CPT & FO left the flight deck and started loading bags.

Is this now a required flight crew duty over at Freedom?

I am sure it ruined your day as you 'did not' get the response you were looking for, did ya?

If Air Blue pilots can clean the cabin, what's wrong with Freedom pilots helping with bags.

Latest resources

Back