Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not Exactly

You need to reread the previous post.

The original and most significant reason that they were starting a new carrier were the scope restrictions on the other carriers that they own.

This would not be in the works jsut to get around ALPA. Regionals that are not owned by a major carrier live on a two edged sword. As discussed earlier, Mesa is hooked to the weakest majors and I am sure that the first concern is protecting his franchise.

The pilot thing is a side issue. To equate this to being a scab or anything else posted here is way off base.

If APLA wants to remain a strong force in commercial avaition, it has to show pilots that there is VALUE associated with being ALPA members.

If pilots look at thousands of furloughed members at the "top" airlines (to use the old standard of definition) and then turn and see what is being done to pilots at PDT, ALG, etc while the union stands idly by, then who will see the value of ALPA representation? Will there be a clamour at Freedom Air or Southwest for ALPA to come in? I doubt it.

It is only when APLA can sell itself and its value to the next generation of pilots that it can ensure its place at the table. Its downfall may very well be the idea that only mainline jobs should be protected.

The only benefit to being an ALPA member at any airline other than a major is: Paying dues to ALPA. They hosed every pilot at Emery because they were still getting dues from the Ryan pilots.

Please go to Emerycrew.net and read whats posted there.

ALPA is out for ALPA and Duane Worthless. ALPA was once a stand up organization. No longer. They only want money from the Regionals and second tier airlines. They don't care about you, only the bottom line. Your local MEC's, no matter how good,can do nothing about it. When the chips are down.....ALPA will turn their backs on you.

Been there done that.

Publisher: ALPA must have used the second team of lawyers for Emery negotiations. Read the LOA's sometime. What a joke. ALPA national shoved that contract down our throates. We are in "Expidited" arbitration now since August. The company keeps getting agreed to extensions. I know many who have lost houses, cars and wives. ALPA sucks. ALPA and their legal department sucks.

Last edited:
US airline loan guarantees to end

Have you wondered why LOA 81 is being thrown down the wholly owneds throuts.. its not just a hardball bargaining tactic, but also b/c the guaranteed loans are coming to an end.

"Some US lawmakers want to end air loan guarantees

By John Crawley

WASHINGTON, May 7 (Reuters) - Key U.S. lawmakers want to rescind a federal credit program set up in the aftermath of Sept. 11 to help struggling airlines, putting new pressure on two big domestic carriers considering that kind of help."

"The Air Transportation Stabilization Board, which was established to administer the credit support program, is supposed to accept applications through the end of June. The decision about whether an applicant gets government-backed guarantees for private-sector borrowing can take months."

"United Airlines <UAL.N> has recently said it might seek the credit guarantees, and US Airways Group Inc. <U.N> has said it would likely apply for them as well."05/07/02 20:47 ET
Copyright 2002 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.

Where within that article does it say the loan guarantees are ending as your subject line states?

guarantee

There is a specific ending to the loan guarantee program. I believe that it is in June.

I certainly never said that I think ALPA does anything very well. If I did, I apologize and must have been drinking.

Frankly, I do not think that they cared about Emery or care much about anything except maintaining control over 5 majors.

Either way, does not really have to do with the why of Freedom.

You voted for these ALPA guys, you got em.

Your right on publisher. They didn't care about Emery or any 2nd or 3rd tier carrirer.

I can proudly say that I didn't vote for ALPA. I did however volunteer for committees and supported the organization after they were on the property. I did most importantly pay my dues.

I am a team player. I just don't think I want to play on that team anymore. Hell they let the company take their ball to play with the contract team even though the contract sez they can't.

Maybe he's referencing the mention of "the end of June".

I wouldn't draw the conclusion that the loan application window's closing was the impetus for the LOA.

Latest resources

Back