• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Free TYPEs for ATA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So only democrats should be allowed to get gubment aid? I guess since you Dems have lived your entire life with your hand out you now must feel entitled.

Im just a dumb regional pilot, but does getting types really help securing a new job....or is it just a free parting gift?

I hope it does though.

Flew corporate for awhile, maybe others can chime in. Getting a G-IV/V/GLEX rating but having no experience will not get you far. Caveat; if you have thousands of hours of international PIC experience in heavy jets, different story. But with out that, just a type will get you nowhere IMHO. You'd be better off going to one of these operators and getting on a smaller a/c (Lear, Citation, Westwind, etc..) then being promoted within the organization to a larger a/c. Any other comments from Charter/corporate guys?

I'd just get the B737 rating....probably gives ya a better shot at SWA in the future.

Flew corporate for awhile, maybe others can chime in. Getting a G-IV/V/GLEX rating but having no experience will not get you far. Caveat; if you have thousands of hours of international PIC experience in heavy jets, different story. But with out that, just a type will get you nowhere IMHO. You'd be better off going to one of these operators and getting on a smaller a/c (Lear, Citation, Westwind, etc..) then being promoted within the organization to a larger a/c. Any other comments from Charter/corporate guys?

I'd just get the B737 rating....probably gives ya a better shot at SWA in the future.
Having been both routes, I have to wholeheartedly DISagree with this opinion.

See 737 type to left. NO guarantee of Southwest job...

SEVERAL companies hiring right now for GIV, GV, G350/450, F50/F900, F2000/2000EX/2000EASy positions that REQUIRE the type rating but have no minimum time in type. I've spoken directly to recruiters at some of these positions, and they'll happily take on an SIC with zero time in type but who HAS the type, simply because it dramatically lowers their costs AND time lag to get someone scheduled and done with class (up to a year or more).

Get 8-12 months of SIC time in the airplane (250+ hours) and, if you have extensive PIC time in other transport-category jets, upgrade comes quickly (depending on company) or you're qualified for any number of PIC positions.

That said, the LAST thing I want to see is more people buying a type rating for a job. It makes it harder for those of us already in the charter/corporate world and makes employers think that never paying for a type rating is an acceptable practice. Kind of makes me glad they're only giving people $6k or so, prohibits most people from buying a bizjet type.

As far as getting on with a charter or corporate operator who has smaller and larger jets and moving up, I'd get it in writing BEFORE you take the job. In this environment, fewer people will be leaving those larger bizjet positions and, as mentioned earlier, they have a BIG tendency to hire direct-entry pilots already typed and current in those larger aircraft to save them the $20-$40k+ to type someone. Been there, seen that... repeatedly.

Good thing those morons on the East voted out ALPA for all of US/AWA... I wonder what USCABA will get all of the furloughs here, besides a swift kick in the nuts.

i takes wht ebr dey gimme and then i'm goin' for more cheese...WORK is for Foolz.

dum azz liberals.

love,

YKMKR

P.S. - Voting for McCain, I am a total Hypocrite. Sorry, but..."Greed Is Good." F.U. All... I'm getting a Type in an IL-62. Because I CAN. And these Gubmint Tit-Sucking Soccer Mom's who run this kRaP won't even know the difference! God Bless Amerika!

Last edited:
i takes wht ebr dey gimme and then i'm goin' for more cheese...WORK is for Foolz.

dum azz liberals.

love,

YKMKR

P.S. - Voting for McCain, I am a total Hippocrite. Sorry, but..."Greed Is Good." F.U. All.

That's usually what is comes down to for the conservatives.

Them: "I'm against the government doing anything. Cut my taxes!"

Me: So how many of your grandparents/parents collect social security?

Them: All of them

Me: And they're all on Medicare/Medicaid too?

Them: Well, ya.

Me: And the last time you were furloughed you collected unemployment and got that type rating paid for by the government?

Them: Well, ya. But I deserve it.

Hypocrisy

I had to edit that there "Hippocrite" thang...Dang, that's a hard word!

Did I finally get it right?

All I know is this:

- If I gots the Money....You can't have it.

- If you gots the Money...I want it.

I believe we call this "Situational Ethics".

Hypocrisy is Good.

Get out of my way while I send money for food relief, and then cave your skull in because you ( NOT "YOU" as in the previous Poster, just the general "YOU".) eat food that should be MINE.

Survival belongs to the FIT. Sorry, It's that "Food Chain" thing....I will strangle you to get what I perceive to be MINE.

Sort of like Airline Pilots.....

Love,

YKMKR

Last edited:
Having been both routes, I have to wholeheartedly DISagree with this opinion.

See 737 type to left. NO guarantee of Southwest job...

SEVERAL companies hiring right now for GIV, GV, G350/450, F50/F900, F2000/2000EX/2000EASy positions that REQUIRE the type rating but have no minimum time in type. I've spoken directly to recruiters at some of these positions, and they'll happily take on an SIC with zero time in type but who HAS the type, simply because it dramatically lowers their costs AND time lag to get someone scheduled and done with class (up to a year or more).

Get 8-12 months of SIC time in the airplane (250+ hours) and, if you have extensive PIC time in other transport-category jets, upgrade comes quickly (depending on company) or you're qualified for any number of PIC positions.

That said, the LAST thing I want to see is more people buying a type rating for a job. It makes it harder for those of us already in the charter/corporate world and makes employers think that never paying for a type rating is an acceptable practice. Kind of makes me glad they're only giving people $6k or so, prohibits most people from buying a bizjet type.

As far as getting on with a charter or corporate operator who has smaller and larger jets and moving up, I'd get it in writing BEFORE you take the job. In this environment, fewer people will be leaving those larger bizjet positions and, as mentioned earlier, they have a BIG tendency to hire direct-entry pilots already typed and current in those larger aircraft to save them the $20-$40k+ to type someone. Been there, seen that... repeatedly.

Actually Lear, if we have a written conditional employment offer on company letterhead, I was told they'll pay for any bizjet type - GLEX, G-IV, G-V, Citation, whatever... or if you are 55+ and considered too old to start over at another airline.

For everyone else, they're pushing 737 types, or if you were already typed, other airliner types.

It's the chicken and egg argument. We'll see how it all plays out...

Latest resources

Back