Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Twotter76

Masterless Samurai
OK you guys I am a regional pilot whose job security appears to be in short supply and I have to ask a stupid newbie question. If you were given the option of going to NetJets, Options, or CS where would you go given the current conditions at all three and why. I don't mind being away from home and I would like to live in the western US. I have seen the payscales for all three and while NJ seems to lag behind logic would dictate that they ought to get a healthy raise (maybe?) from the next TA when it gets done at least to the level of the other two if not higher (again be easy on me I am not that familiar with the fracs).

I think I would enjoy the varied kinds of flying that you all do and I like the 7 and 7 schedule though I realize it takes a while to be able to hold it. So what are your thoughts? What do you like or dislike about frac flying? I am sure that there are many there that came from the regionals - how do the two compare? Thanks

Never worked at a regional so my info will not have any comparisons.

The Fracs are all the same. The flying is fun although it does get to be a drag sometimes. Tons of catering. At NJA you will gain 15 pounds the first year if your not careful. Benefits are probably all the same. Pay sucks. Go to http://www.airlinepilotpay.com./ and do some research.

NJA has a Flex(19 days), 17 days, and 7/7 schedules. The flex can only be bid, not assigned.

NJA wouldnt be so bad except for the pay. Other guys want more bennies or retirement.

I'd say they are all the same though. I would go to Citation Shares because they make the most. We have the name and time will tell how that works out for us.

If you've been doing the airline thing for a while the Frac lifestyle will take some getting used to. The day to day job is worlds apart from that of an airline pilot. At first I can honestly say I was doubtful that I'd made the right decision to leave my regional gig. I've since adjusted and truly come to love my job. The seven on, seven off schedule is wonderful...I make the most of my time off and make the best of my time on. The money is enough to live on and even buy a few toys. Given the state of aviation these days, there's few places I'd rather be.

And by the way, if you do take the plunge, go to CitationShares ;)

Stinkbug

I chose NJA and to be honest, it took me a while to get here. I came from a regional (a very small one) and to be honest, I was quite bored with flying to the same cities, over and over and over. The fractionals looked really appealing to me. As for NJA specifically, I had several friends there and they were pleased with the company. I also liked that NJA is large and offers a wide range of aircraft. I'd really like to make this my career so having a lot of aircraft to fly is appealing. Also, NJA is a Berkshire-Hathaway company, so that made a difference to me, as Warren Buffett wouldn't invest in something he didn't believe in. Perhaps the pay isn't the greatest right now, but there's hope with the pending TA and I guess I try to be positive - I'd rather fly for NJA than be furloughed from a higher-paying gig. Plus, from limited time at NJA, they've treated me very well and their benefits package is really good - 401K with company matching, paid health benefits, etc.

Keep investigating and looking around. For every positive or negative comment you hear about a company, take it in stride and make up your own mind.

Ok, Ive had a few G&T's so all this company luv is making me sick!!!!!

NJA IS NOT A CAREER JOB!!! PERIOD!!!!!

The day this sh!thole pays actual wages then, maybe, it will be a career job.

Rant aside don't come here thinking this is the end all be all. We are grossly under paid. More RON's, legs, time, etc.....

I wont pick on the happy to be here crowd because for many this is the best they have aver had. You can't fault anyone for that but in the end quality of life is what matter.

Being able to send your children to college, being able to take your wife to dinner, being home a reasonable amount, making enough to secure your retirement. Most of these items are impossible at NJA. 7 days off is great but when you work 12/12 every day, 14/10 many days you will need 7 days off because your first 1 or 2 days you are recovering.

At NJA you will start one day at 8:00am and end at 6 or 7 pm. the next day you will start after min rest and work 12 to 14 hours just to get min rest again and then out for 5 hours. Then you will plan on getting to be that night at reasonable time, say 11:00 or so, just to be woken for an un-briefed trip at 2 or 3 am. This is not rare but more the norm.

Again, this place is not the end of the world but too many people make it out to seem more than it is. Split the middle of what people say and there is your reality. Hell, PM me and I will get in contact with you and give you an honest scoop. One that doesnt include a gin and tonic.

Anyone have a ballpark estimate as to how many hours per year new hire pilots at these three fractionals fly?

Any fractional is not a career job....Flops just today gave every pilot at least a $653/per year PAY CUT! Some got even a bigger cut. The have restructured the per diem and we are all loosing at least $653/year. This money has been paid to us for the 5 years I have worked here.....every month a new perk or part of the compensation package is removed. STAY AWAY!!! The part that really gets me mad is the waste involved company wide, but they keep cutting the pilot wages/compensation package. Several years ago I didn't know more than a handfull of people looking to get out of fractional flying at flops......now I have trouble finding a single person who wants to stay long term. Things have sure changed in this part of the industry in the past couple of years, and not for the better. Really do your research, ask fractional pilots you see on the road what life is really like, and ask yourself if this is right for you. The above posts refer to long duty days at Netjets......we have the same long duty days here. It is not uncommon to see 14hrs on/10hrs off for many days in a row. You are a mess when you get home. It usually takes a couple of days to recoup. Good luck!

What our pay cut at Flops is not a good thing? But they told me it was a good thing. but they give us "crew meals" and perdiem. I don't understand why anyone would not like this.

What's the average flight time per month at NJA? Also, any idea when the new contract might be approved.....I have my NJA app filled out and ready to mail and was wondering if it is a good choice.

Latest resources

Back