• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FOs logging PIC

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you meet the requirements under 61.51 to log the time as PIC (which on the CRJ means a type rating as well) then by all means log it as PIC. As we should all have learned at our mother's knee, LOGGING PIC has nothing to do with BEING PIC and so all the people getting their panties in a wad about Part 121 designating the PIC and the flight release and whatever else you're getting all excited about are wrong.

Airline's will ask you to complete an application form, on which they will ask for various types of time, and if they have a definition of that time that is different from the FAA's they will tell you - many of them consider PIC to be only that time you "signed for the airplane" - which means ACTING as PIC. Many of them don't count PIC time logged as an instructor, should we not have put that time in our precious logbooks as well? Airline interviewers aren't stupid - when they look through a logbook they are looking for correctly logged time - as long as the time was correctly logged according to the Federal Aviation Regulations they'll be fine with it - AS LONG AS YOU DID NOT MIS-REPRESENT THAT TIME ON YOUR APPLICATION - now that would be a problem.

I am amazed that the "Time Greed" would lead you to falsify your logbook. When you eventually go to upgrade, the FAA or Check Airman will review your logged time to ensure you have the time required for the certificate or rating that is sought. After seeing that SIC time was logged as PIC it can and will cause your entire logbook to be suspect. I have seen this before causing the applicant to provide proof of time, ie notorized letters from prior employers, notorized letters from prior flight schools, notorized copies of engine log times to verify that the amount of time logged for the aircraft matches what was logged in a given period of time. (if you owned your own aircraft).

This type of behavior by a pilot applicant is not tolorated. Passengers lives are at stake. There is a reason that most airlines have a base time that must be met prior to upgrade, not only for insurance reasons, but also for experience.

I hope you will correct your logbook and log time appropriate to your current position.

Remember: You don't know what you don't know!

If you meet the requirements under 61.51 to log the time as PIC (which on the CRJ means a type rating as well) then by all means log it as PIC.

This is the worst piece of advice I've ever read...and that's saying quite a bit on Flightinfo.

As we should all have learned at our mother's knee, LOGGING PIC has nothing to do with BEING PIC and so all the people getting their panties in a wad about Part 121 designating the PIC and the flight release and whatever else you're getting all excited about are wrong.

You are right; being PIC and logging PIC are two totally different things...but if you are an FO in a 121 operation and you are logging PIC on the legs you are the flying pilot, that is going to be a HUUUUUUUUUUUGE red flag for any pilot hiring folks when they take a look at your resume and then take a look at your logbook. I know I'd be suspicious as hell if I were interviewing somebody that did that, and I'm just a dumb line pilot. Are you willing to run that risk?

This is by far the funniest thread on here in awhile. It's like a Christopher Guest movie! Or maybe Borat would be better . .

Children flying jets. This thread is embarrassing on the same level as watching President Bush give just about any speech. Painful to see.

Back in college, I officially logged 0.2 of airport beacon time. I was riding that baby like no tomorrow. And no, I didn't get bucked off.

Why would you want to log right seat time as PIC when you're the designated SIC in a CRJ?

If you've doubts, which it seems you have, then maybe it just ain't right. Use some common sense.

I don't see why you guys are making fun of me for going to riddle and buying my job... I didn't do either. I'm just getting some good quality jet PIC time, thats all. Why the anger towards me?

Think about what you are building PIC time for.... The majors? The upgrade? The majors will take one look at your logbook and throw you out of the interview for lying on your application about PIC time....that would kind of defeat the purpose of interviewing. Idon't think that it will hurt your upgrade because you're gonna have to wait for your number to come up anyway.

Majors mostly carry a 1000 turbine PIC req. Don't you think when you get to the interview and have 3000 TT with 1500 JET PIC it will look fishy.

Hey man it's your career -- do what you want.

. As we should all have learned at our mother's knee, LOGGING PIC has nothing to do with BEING PIC and so all the people getting their panties in a wad about Part 121 designating the PIC and the flight release and whatever else you're getting all excited about are wrong.

Airline interviewers aren't stupid - when they look through a logbook they are looking for correctly logged time - as long as the time was correctly logged according to the Federal Aviation Regulations they'll be fine with it - AS LONG AS YOU DID NOT MIS-REPRESENT THAT TIME ON YOUR APPLICATION - now that would be a problem.

Are you, or have you ever, been an airline interviewer? Do you have any idea that what you are saying is wrong? Walk your logbook with this and explain it to those at Southwest, or Air Tran.....you wouldn't be the first to get tossed even if it was an honest mistake....Although the FAR's are grey in this area.....it only matters to the interviewer that you are trying to get hired by.....and since I was one of them......This is unethical....You are a professional pilot, and making a decision like this (taking the easy way out) just says what type of person you are

Check out the back of your certificate. What does it say under ratings next to CL-65?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back