• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FO's in supervisory positions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
NJA has quite a few ACP's that were FO's when they took the job. They technically are Captains when they become an ACP but it's really the wrong way to go about being a captain.

Pinnacle's soon to be ACP in MSP will be qualified as a line FO. Thats if he gets through training.

regionaltard said:
Any chance a Captain could end up doing a carpet dance for a FO at your airline?
Unheard of you say? Ask any QX DEN Captain who the ACP is. (An FO)

The SEA ACP is a desk jockey also. (As in NOT a pilot)

Last edited:
Soo.... guess i'll be the one to ask. If an individual has a talent for management, and has aspirations to be behind a desk... what difference does it make if they're an F/O or a Captain?

The fourth stripe just means they got hired sooner. Especially after 09/11 it means very little about experience. I've flown as F/O to Captains who had 5000 hours less total time than I do.

I don't see a problem with first officers making the transition to management.

Mesaba has done that for years.

FO's as Line Check Airmen, Fleet Managers, Instructors.....however, I don't ever remember seeing one as a Chief Pilot. On the other hand, you only have to have a forged medical and a DFO that is your best friend to be a Chief Pilot.

The problem with it is that senior FO's can't upgrade at Mesaba but there/were are numerous "junior management pilots" getting type ratings and logging PIC time.

DoinTime said:
Pinnacle's soon to be ACP in MSP will be qualified as a line FO. Thats if he gets through training.

You don't really think he won't get through do ya DT? IMO his temp cert is already waiting for his sig. Then he'll finally be able to back up his claims of knowing more about being a line pilot then we do.

Rook

If there is any justice in this world, Pinnacle's MSP ACP will be junior manned for a lifetime of highspeeds as an F/O......................................

"Soo.... guess i'll be the one to ask. If an individual has a talent for management, and has aspirations to be behind a desk... what difference does it make if they're an F/O or a Captain?"

I have no problem talking to a CP that happens to be an FO about administrative matters but I would resent having to explain any operational decisions I make to someone that has never signed for an airplane.

The post about people being anywhere after 9/11 is right on. CHQ has two ACP's that are FO seniority. One is an outside new-hire. Line guys don't want teh job because it pays LESS than our guarantee. That said, at least for the CMH guy, he is one of the most knowledgable and understanding CP's I've ever worked with. Haven't met the other yet. Our CMH guy was previously at TWA as a MD captain and 767 FO, and has brought us a lot of useful knowledge..

..CT

Latest resources

Back