• NC Software is having a Black Friday Sale Event thru December 4th on Logbook Pro, APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook, Cirrus Elite Binders, and more. Use coupon code BF2020 at checkout to redeem 15% off your purchase. Click here to shop now.
  • NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

FO's in supervisory positions

regionaltard

seat lock
Total Time
90°
Any chance a Captain could end up doing a carpet dance for a FO at your airline?

Diesel

TEB Hilton resident
Total Time
huh??

caseyd

Total Time
regionaltard said:
Any chance a Captain could end up doing a carpet dance for a FO at your airline?

No. What a silly question. Why do you ask?

regionaltard

seat lock
Total Time
90°
caseyd said:
No. What a silly question. Why do you ask?

Because sometimes the truth is stranger than fiction. I suspect that it is virtually unheard of, but I do know for a fact that there's at least one airline out there with FO ACP's. Having discovered that, I was curious to find out how common the practice is industry-wide.

vtc12ip

Total Time
2.7 yr
I was the DO at Business Express back in the 90s while holding a Saab FO line in BOS. I have since seen the light and quit the airline business.

FreightNazi

not an ACMI
Total Time
lots
UPS has F/O and S/O ACP's. They even have one ACP who isn't even a pilot! One of the ACP's recently got upgraded to 727 Captain, and he has just over 1000 hrs. TOTAL FLIGHT TIME!!!!

regionaltard

seat lock
Total Time
90°
FreightNazi said:
One of the ACP's recently got upgraded to 727 Captain, and he has just over 1000 hrs. TOTAL FLIGHT TIME!!!!

Did he have the seniority to upgrade?

wmuflyguy

flunky
Total Time
5k+
FreightNazi said:
UPS has F/O and S/O ACP's. They even have one ACP who isn't even a pilot! One of the ACP's recently got upgraded to 727 Captain, and he has just over 1000 hrs. TOTAL FLIGHT TIME!!!!

Uh don't you need 1500 TT to get an ATP and thus be a captain?

Diesel

TEB Hilton resident
Total Time
NJA has quite a few ACP's that were FO's when they took the job. They technically are Captains when they become an ACP but it's really the wrong way to go about being a captain.

DoinTime

Total Time
6000+
Pinnacle's soon to be ACP in MSP will be qualified as a line FO. Thats if he gets through training.

turbodriver

Total Time
enough
regionaltard said:
Unheard of you say? Ask any QX DEN Captain who the ACP is. (An FO)

The SEA ACP is a desk jockey also. (As in NOT a pilot)

Last edited:

BenderGonzales

Total Time
xxxxxx
Soo.... guess i'll be the one to ask. If an individual has a talent for management, and has aspirations to be behind a desk... what difference does it make if they're an F/O or a Captain?

The fourth stripe just means they got hired sooner. Especially after 09/11 it means very little about experience. I've flown as F/O to Captains who had 5000 hours less total time than I do.

I don't see a problem with first officers making the transition to management.

sf3boy

Total Time
i quit
Mesaba has done that for years.

FO's as Line Check Airmen, Fleet Managers, Instructors.....however, I don't ever remember seeing one as a Chief Pilot. On the other hand, you only have to have a forged medical and a DFO that is your best friend to be a Chief Pilot.

The problem with it is that senior FO's can't upgrade at Mesaba but there/were are numerous "junior management pilots" getting type ratings and logging PIC time.

Rook

And shepherds we shall be
Total Time
?
DoinTime said:
Pinnacle's soon to be ACP in MSP will be qualified as a line FO. Thats if he gets through training.

You don't really think he won't get through do ya DT? IMO his temp cert is already waiting for his sig. Then he'll finally be able to back up his claims of knowing more about being a line pilot then we do.

Rook

VGerect

Total Time
Beer
If there is any justice in this world, Pinnacle's MSP ACP will be junior manned for a lifetime of highspeeds as an F/O......................................

Caveman

Grandpa
Total Time
11000+
"Soo.... guess i'll be the one to ask. If an individual has a talent for management, and has aspirations to be behind a desk... what difference does it make if they're an F/O or a Captain?"

I have no problem talking to a CP that happens to be an FO about administrative matters but I would resent having to explain any operational decisions I make to someone that has never signed for an airplane.

Chicken Taco

User.... of What??
Total Time
The post about people being anywhere after 9/11 is right on. CHQ has two ACP's that are FO seniority. One is an outside new-hire. Line guys don't want teh job because it pays LESS than our guarantee. That said, at least for the CMH guy, he is one of the most knowledgable and understanding CP's I've ever worked with. Haven't met the other yet. Our CMH guy was previously at TWA as a MD captain and 767 FO, and has brought us a lot of useful knowledge..

..CT