Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

regionaltard

seat lock
Any chance a Captain could end up doing a carpet dance for a FO at your airline?

It can happen at JB as we have FO's that are assistant chief pilots. Its total BS in my opinion. If I were to be dragged into the chief pilots office (it hasnt happened yet) how can a FO sit there and chew out a Capt. What if we ever flew together after I got an a@@ reaming from him. How would that go. Would I be able to be the Capt. or would I have to defer to the FO that is an assistant chief. Its screws up the chain of command so bad. Only Capt's should be in the Chief Pilots office but at JB we like to cut costs at whatever the price.

Would it be any better if a junior Captain chewed you out?

a320drivr said:
It can happen at JB as we have FO's that are assistant chief pilots. Its total BS in my opinion. If I were to be dragged into the chief pilots office (it hasnt happened yet) how can a FO sit there and chew out a Capt. What if we ever flew together after I got an a@@ reaming from him. How would that go. Would I be able to be the Capt. or would I have to defer to the FO that is an assistant chief. Its screws up the chain of command so bad. Only Capt's should be in the Chief Pilots office but at JB we like to cut costs at whatever the price.
I think we need to piously bow our heads and intone, "The Values, etc... and so forth and so on...
Oh yeah. And profit sharing...

At Horizon there is currently one Asst CP....now called the "Manager of Pilot Services" (MPS) who is an FO and is, by the way, much more capable than any of the captains who have been MPS's. They are soon to hire another FO MPS in PDX as well. The guy in Seattle isn't even a friggin pilot which is the reason they changed the stupid acronym. Doesn't really save any money, the min salary posted for an MPS is well above a junior Dash 8 Capts Salary and if you (the line pilot) really screw up you will be dancing in the office in Portland to someone with more pull anyway. Doesn't seem to make much difference but then again, I'm an FO.....

That situation happens in the military all the time. It used to happen even more often before Navigators started disappearing. There is no rank in the aircraft, other then the captains authority, is what I have always been taught and believe. Mgt is mgt but when they fly as an FO I don't see that effecting the captains role at all.

miles otoole said:
What do you mean by "doing a carpet dance?"

Industry jargon generally understood by the folks I addressed my question to.

a320drivr said:

Don't think that is the role of an Asst. Chief. they are there to help out and get answers to questions. Not "chew anyone out".
These guys do a lot of behind the scenes work and I don't think a@@ chewing is one of them

Latest resources

Back