• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FO's in supervisory positions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My chief is an FO. The only concern I have is that he might be tempted to return to line flying rather than stay in his office. He has previous managment experience ouside the airlines. The guy gets things done. He doesn't jump to conclusions. He's fair and honest. He's one of the best CP's I've known. I've never heard a negative comment about him from anyone.

regionaltard said:
Industry jargon generally understood by the folks I addressed my question to.

So in other words you can't answer this question. Or you are just being a rick with a "p" and not answering the question.

I thought doing the carpet dance meant have to answer to a CP or other management pilot for something that happened on a particular flight. The original post sounded like you wanted to know if aa FO had ever done anything that caused the blame to fall on the capt. and caused him to do the dance in front of the CP. I've had this happen and I defend the FO when they deserve it.

Diesel said:
When you call a ACP and say hey how did you handle this problem when you were captain........ What do you hear on the other end of the line.

Being a captain is important because you know that they were in the same stuff you're in.

Are you assuming that any given FO at B6 hasn't been a CA? That's dumb...in fact...a large majority of the FO's are furloughed legacy...and some even legacy CA (USAir). a lot of times especially "senior" CA's at B6 fly with FO's with a lot more experience than they have...it is the nature of the bizniz when you have a start up and a downturn in the industry at the same time. Get used to it!

I am an ACP and a First Officer and it presents no problem at all. If I need to "chew out" a Captain it is generally on a very clear cut issue. It has never effected CRM on flights that I have shared with that Captain in the future. The Captains I fly with are hard core professionals, as I was when I wore four stripes at TWA. They understand my job as ACP and F/O and I understand the situation when I fly with someone who has been rug dancing for me. Never a problem for true professionals.

Regards;

Helmsmen

a320drivr said:
It can happen at JB as we have FO's that are assistant chief pilots. Its total BS in my opinion. If I were to be dragged into the chief pilots office (it hasnt happened yet) how can a FO sit there and chew out a Capt. What if we ever flew together after I got an a@@ reaming from him. How would that go. Would I be able to be the Capt. or would I have to defer to the FO that is an assistant chief. Its screws up the chain of command so bad. Only Capt's should be in the Chief Pilots office but at JB we like to cut costs at whatever the price.

No no you would have to ask him if it was OK to close the door!
Common get real, your not going to have to do a dance in front of many of the asst chiefs,(although I would like to see you do one with that attitude!LOL) If you had gotton the job then you would not have had to worry then?(self reprimand!) Oh you didn't apply that's right.

Helmsmen said:
I am an ACP and a First Officer and it presents no problem at all. If I need to "chew out" a Captain it is generally on a very clear cut issue. It has never effected CRM on flights that I have shared with that Captain in the future. The Captains I fly with are hard core professionals, as I was when I wore four stripes at TWA. They understand my job as ACP and F/O and I understand the situation when I fly with someone who has been rug dancing for me. Never a problem for true professionals.

Regards;

Helmsmen

You've made an important distinction here, one that I probably should have made in my original post. There's a big difference between an individual with solid industry experience yet relatively new to his company and hence not a Captain and the hypothetical "FO" I was referrring to.

At my company, the institution of the CP's office has brought so much discredit on itself over the years that it simply can't attract the sort of experienced, well respected individuals that I believe are the rule rather than the exception in these positions in our industry.

Helmsmen said:

Regards;

Helmsmen

wow...see that is what i was talking about! these "FO's" bring a tremendous amount of knowledge and experience to young start up airlines. if the airline system rewarded CA slots based on merit and not seniority...there may be an issue here, in my opinion.

Latest resources

Back