Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
furloughed said:
Dointime,
Your kidding right? Memphis is soooo much better. If anyone had the opportunity to improve their situation and career but don't because of the fact Atlanta is where AirTran's hub is located really deserve to spend their career at a third rate regional airline.

In case you haven't heard MEM is not the only Pinnacle domicile and, btw, I consider MEM to be even worse than ATL. Improvement is a measure that can only be appreciated in the eye of the individual. Starting over at the bottom of the list for a possible long term gain of 30% in salary is not worth spending around double my monthly hours at work. I don't plan to spend my entire career at a regional but I'm not about to leave for something short of my goals that would have me commuting into a place I hate. That would be a detriment to my quality of life.

let me get this straight, people won't apply at Airtran, which has lots and lots of growth coming its way with the new 737s, simply because they don't like atlanta?

um, ok.

granted, it was no picnic when CMR started flying in there, but it's gotten a lot better on the ramp, which was always the source of the complaints. no matter who you work for, you'll have some oversaturated hub to deal with. i just can't get why ATL is any worse than the others...

Last edited:
Bailout,

Whats their seniority numbers?

701EV

DoinTime said:
Starting over at the bottom of the list for a possible long term gain of 30% in salary is not worth spending around double my monthly hours at work. I don't plan to spend my entire career at a regional but I'm not about to leave for something short of my goals that would have me commuting into a place I hate. That would be a detriment to my quality of life.
Dointime,

Just to let you know, according to airlinepilot pay.com that number should be closer to 67% increase in salary. That assumes five years from now. I assumed five years from now you will be a 10 year captain at Pinnacle and you would be a five year captain at AirTran if hired today. That doesn't include B-Fund or other work rule improvements. If you look at top pay scale (15 years at Pinnacle 12 years at AT) at both then that percentage increases to 87% more. I am not saying this should change your opinion or anything, that is a personal decision but just wanted to correct that statement for others.

Citrus Jockey

Citrus Jockey said:
Dointime,

Just to let you know, according to airlinepilot pay.com that number should be closer to 67% increase in salary. That assumes five years from now. I assumed five years from now you will be a 10 year captain at Pinnacle and you would be a five year captain at AirTran if hired today. That doesn't include B-Fund or other work rule improvements. If you look at top pay scale (15 years at Pinnacle 12 years at AT) at both then that percentage increases to 87% more. I am not saying this should change your opinion or anything, that is a personal decision but just wanted to correct that statement for others.

Citrus Jockey

You can look at the situation in a variety of ways and for each person you'll get a different conclusion. Here is the way I look at it. I routinely gross around 95-100 hours credit per month while my TAFB is, on average, around 155 hours. At 10 year PCL rates this grosses on average around $7150/month or $46 per hour dedicated to work.

If I were to get on with Airtran today five years from now would probably put me on reserve in the captains seat (would this be accurate?). At a 70 hour guarantee $120/hour would gross $8400/month. I figure an absolute minimum of 390 hours at work, or commuting, per month while on reserve would be required. This would get me $22 per hour dedicated to work.

Add to that the additional costs associated with being a commuter and the four years of paycut while in the FO's seat and its pretty easy to see that Airtran would not be a wise intermediate step on the way to my goals. If your already a commuter its a completely different story but that is not my case. Hour for hour I make double at PCL than I would at Airtran in the scenerio that you propsed.

DoinTime said:
If I were to get on with Airtran today five years from now would probably put me on reserve in the captains seat (would this be accurate?). QUOTE]

Upgrades are running at appoximately 2.5 years right now and will probably remain that way for the next five years if planned growth is continued. So at five years anyway you should easily be off reserve. Crediting 90-100 hours once a lineholder or even a build up lineholder is relatively common. Lines are built to around 75-85 hours block and with duty rigs, minimum credit days, and other soft time credits etc.. they credit somewhere 5-10 hours above block. Each leg at AT is guranteed credit wise, so it is relatively easy to credit 2-3 hours more a month just flying over also. Commuting does add an unwanted expense like you said though and each person has there own reasons for doing what they are doing in this industry.

FarginDooshbahg said:
No such thing. It's a DC9.

No such thing. It's a DC9.

Maybe if you get that sorted out, you might stand a chance...:rolleyes:

Yeah, really nice of big B to take credit
for Douglas's work. You saw my error,
did you get the point?

So

Furloughed TWA with 717 experience
furloughed AA with maddog experience
etc...

Happy now?