• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

For those that want to "vote and get it over with" at SKYW

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you don't like unions, your life in this industry is really going to be limited.

1. You stay where you are the rest of your career.
2. You go to work for some No-union airline.. ummmm Jetblue is all i can think of.

Either way... you have limited your chances at advancement. Maybe your young, but even that you will outgrow.

OR....You can lose you're retirement and have to go get ANOTHER job when you hit 60! Go alpa?

I would goto any major that has a union if I had the right base, etc. Going to a major isn't what it used to be but the pay can still be good. I would have no problem with southwest because they don't have ALPA. Also wouldn't have a problem with United since they have bases where I would want to live. Your union dues actually get you something at the major level. At the regional level they do not. Why not save the dues while we all bide our time waiting to goto the majors. Worst case scenario our career ends up being skywest then we ended up doing pretty darn good.

Explain what you get for your ALPA dollars at a major that you do not at a regional?

I would goto any major that has a union if I had the right base, etc.

You seem to have shifing values of convienence

Going to a major isn't what it used to be but the pay can still be good.

You like that ALPA negotiated pay don't you....

I would have no problem with southwest because they don't have ALPA.

But they buy ALPA services to negotiate thier pay. No matter what you do, you benefit from ALPA. Why not contribute instead of just take...

Also wouldn't have a problem with United since they have bases where I would want to live.

Ah its all about you....

Your union dues actually get you something at the major level. At the regional level they do not.

So you like unions and what they can do for you... Actually, the regionals benefit quite a bit from being associated. Its like Rhode Island benefiting from being a part of the Federal Gov't. Rhode Island can't provide for its own defense or state wide disaster... RI needs to unify and belong...

Why not save the dues while we all bide our time waiting to goto the majors.

Ah... its about you....again...

Worst case scenario our career ends up being skywest then we ended up doing pretty darn good.

That justification was said by Pilots at

National
Pan Am
Eastern
TWA
ACA/Independence
UFS
WestAir
Presidential
PSA
Peoples Express
Texas Air
Midway I
Midway II
Chicago Express

Fellas...any others who didn't survive the immunity bubble that Newman thinks is real?

Worst case scenario our career ends up being skywest then we ended up doing pretty darn good.

Tell that to your senior captains who are unable to properly fund their 401K because they are considered HCE's. Tell that to the senior EMB captains that haven't got a raise in over 6 years. Tell that to our recently retired captains that can't afford health insurance.

One of these days you'll wake up. Might take a while. We'll make sure we put come copies of your idiotic posts in your mailbox so you can review them. At least you'll have some good stories to tell your coworkers at Wal-Mart when you're 80 years old.

I don't. why do other groups care what we think?

I was at an ALPA carrier, does my experience count for anything?

are my opinions automatically discounted because I don't support the club, or is there a non-union position that you'd respect?

No!.................. Mesa doesn't count!

it wasn't Mesa.

good point, though. they are under the 'protection' of the all powerful ALPA.

it wasn't Mesa.

good point, though. they are under the 'protection' of the all powerful ALPA.

The MEC that presided over the negotiation of that contract was voted out long ago.

Tell that to your senior captains who are unable to properly fund their 401K because they are considered HCE's. Tell that to the senior EMB captains that haven't got a raise in over 6 years. Tell that to our recently retired captains that can't afford health insurance.

One of these days you'll wake up. Might take a while. We'll make sure we put come copies of your idiotic posts in your mailbox so you can review them. At least you'll have some good stories to tell your coworkers at Wal-Mart when you're 80 years old.

Don't forget the senior RJ captains that haven't had a COLA in over 6 years, and will get a whopping total of 1% for the next 4 years(in Newwoman's world .1% a year is a fantastic deal, and we should all be thankful)!!!!

Explain what you get for your ALPA dollars at a major that you do not at a regional?

Ok. Jets for Jobs protections whereby you get to not only flowback into a job but also then get to turn around and tell those regional pilots that their flowthrough no longer exists, it's a one way street controlled by the mainline alpa mec at the expense of their regional counter parts who are members of the same friggin union.

Now keep in mind that some of these guys were FOs for a year or so at Mesa, got hired by US Airways and flew there for maybe 9 months and now feel they are entitled to a left seat slotted seniority captain's job in front of guys who have been with a company for 15 years. That's what their mainline ALPA dollars got them.

We here at SkyWest like to think of this whole thing as a yin-yang. The balance between good and evil. The duality of coexistance. You guys stay Evil ALPA, and we'll balance that out by remaining Good Non-Union. Like it or not, you guys benefit from us being non-union as much as we do from you being union. If we were all ALPA it would upset the balance of power and we'd all be on the fast track to the bottom. Harsh reality, but its true.

Latest resources

Back