• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

For SWA Poolies

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Are any of you at the bottom of the SWA seniority list considering leaving for one of the other carrier's that have announced hiring (Delta, Air Tran and Jet Blue)?

Thanks in advance.

Personally I think thats crazy, almost career suicide if not done carefully. Even the most junior FO at SWA is making way more than the bottom of Jetblue, DAL, and Airtran with 16 days off. Being at the bottom of any list is a crappy place to be, but to bounce from bottom to bottom is even worse unless the carrier you are working for is on the way out, or Furloughs are about to happen. Everyones situation is different, but to leave the bottom of SWA for any of the other carriers right now would be a HUGE gamble.

When any of us get hired at any of these carriers nothing is guaranteed. Bouncing around the bottom is dangerous, I wouldn't do it. The only way to move up is by staying put, and if staying put at SWA is not making someone happy, I doubt they will be happy at the bottom of any carrier. Then again, nothing is guaranteed.......

Personally I think thats crazy, almost career suicide if not done carefully. Even the most junior FO at SWA is making way more than the bottom of Jetblue, DAL, and Airtran with 16 days off. Being at the bottom of any list is a crappy place to be, but to bounce from bottom to bottom is even worse unless the carrier you are working for is on the way out, or Furloughs are about to happen. Everyones situation is different, but to leave the bottom of SWA for any of the other carriers right now would be a HUGE gamble.

When any of us get hired at any of these carriers nothing is guaranteed. Bouncing around the bottom is dangerous, I wouldn't do it. The only way to move up is by staying put, and if staying put at SWA is not making someone happy, I doubt they will be happy at the bottom of any carrier. Then again, nothing is guaranteed.......

I'm not so sure...

Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not leaving. BUT... I really wouldn't be that surprised if a few people left. I'm not commenting on whether or not it's a smart move (who knows?) but I wouldn't be shocked to see some guys who are looking at 20 year upgrades decide that maybe they don't want to retire in the right seat, which is a very real possibility for alot of guys now. Upgrade time is a big player now. I think when SWA was recently upgrading in 5 years it was just about unbeatable in terms of career earnings expectations. But now?????

Of course, it still is a great company, great treatment, great QOL, etc., but there is now more to consider...

And actually, the only way to move up is to be at a company that is....moving up. Just a thought....

I'm not so sure...

Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not leaving. BUT... I really wouldn't be that surprised if a few people left. I'm not commenting on whether or not it's a smart move (who knows?) but I wouldn't be shocked to see some guys who are looking at 20 year upgrades decide that maybe they don't want to retire in the right seat, which is a very real possibility for alot of guys now. Upgrade time is a big player now. I think when SWA was recently upgrading in 5 years it was just about unbeatable in terms of career earnings expectations. But now?????

Of course, it still is a great company, great treatment, great QOL, etc., but there is now more to consider...

And actually, the only way to move up is to be at a company that is....moving up. Just a thought....

that is a very tough call...in fact, it's downright ugly. Here is the thing, when basing a move on upgrade time, anyone might be setting up for dissapointment. Any carrier at this level requires a good 5 years at the very least to upgrade. (DAL more than that, JB and Airtran should be at around 5 years.) If someone already invested say 2 years at SWA and then has to wait say 5 years at JB, then is it worth it? That's like trying to predict the future, and I don't know many people that can do that, so we base this decision on luck. Just like SWA can ramp up and next thing you know upgrade time falls again. I know quite a few guys at other carriers that got burned bad by jumping ship from a healthy carrier. Tons of guys jumped to UAL and AA back ten years ago and who would have thunk it.

Is being PIC everything? I understand the $$$ is there but to leave a 120K right seat job at a healthy carrier for the bottom of another carrier because of PIC time...man that's risky. Once you make it to a major, it becomes a marathon not a race...unless the writing is on the wall for the company you work for. Another thing, try convincing DAL, JB, or Airtran HR Dept. to hire you after leaving SWA...they would be asking tons of questions about that, and if you mention upgrade time...they will not hire you. Just saying...that's as tough a call as you can have.

What was the orginal question anyway? I forget...:D

I think it was 'why do the few liberals on the propert still get like 55% of the ass?'

was that it? And something about ratings...
;-)

just kidding! No more hijacks!

LGA, BOS, MSP, MKE, Expanding in DEN, rumors of San Juan, now CHS and GSP in the near future.
The days of the 5 year upgrade may be over, but there's still a LOT of opportunity for SWA and new pilots. Keep your heads up- people have been predicting the demise of Swa for years. So relax, be aggressive with mother D if it's a place you could be happy- like Gup said- choices are better than no choices- but I predict you'll be here soon.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back