• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

For SWA Poolies

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yes there are ... just flew with a FO who was making the XC commute to sit reserve in OAK.

This is a new reality for us. We have not experienced seniority list stagnation like this; ever.

9/11/2001 put the brakes on for a little over 18 months (if memory serves).

Age 65, the economy, rising incremental costs (labor and fuel) and a decrease in risk tolerance have all lead up to our new reality.

I remember reading the Age 65 Pro/Con paper that came out from SWAPA when they were in the final press to change the legislation to conform with ICAO standards. The positon paper asserted that upgrades would be delayed in the 1.5 to 2.5 year range. One of the justifications was that SWA would continue to take on airframes (SWA had until this recent reality taken most of their options) and expand. The author of the paper, some time later, stated that he was rushed and wished he had more time to put out a balanced pro/con piece. I don't believe the guy to be evil or motivated to misrepresent the facts (hell I yanked gear for him for many years), but his timing and accuracy could not have been more off the mark.

It wasn't but three weeks later we announced an aggregate 8% reduction in flying, cancellation of future new hire classes and rescheduling of aircraft deliveries.

Now, for the first time in our history we have 10 year FOs, with the upgrade window growing longer by the month. We have downgraded captains and cut our lance captain program.

Many captains who were hired before 1999 have a difficult time understanding our new reality. I know this because when these 10 year FOs sit down with me I hear the stories of clueless captains.

When I started, Chief Pilots and Check Airman made it those positions around the 6 - 8 year point. This, for me, underscores just how different our reality is now from the past.

SL

Trashcan,
You trying to stir up a poopstorm here? :bomb: This thread was dying till you came along!

Though I don't think too many people (if any) will leave SWA once on property, I wonder how many will leave the pool, especially those living in NWelta cities.
spciii

I wouldn't leave Swa. That doesn't mean I wouldn't leave my regional for another job, depending on who it was.

Yes there are ... just flew with a FO who was making the XC commute to sit reserve in OAK.

This is a new reality for us. We have not experienced seniority list stagnation like this; ever.

9/11/2001 put the brakes on for a little over 18 months (if memory serves).

Age 65, the economy, rising incremental costs (labor and fuel) and a decrease in risk tolerance have all lead up to our new reality.

I remember reading the Age 65 Pro/Con paper that came out from SWAPA when they were in the final press to change the legislation to conform with ICAO standards. The positon paper asserted that upgrades would be delayed in the 1.5 to 2.5 year range. One of the justifications was that SWA would continue to take on airframes (SWA had until this recent reality taken most of their options) and expand. The author of the paper, some time later, stated that he was rushed and wished he had more time to put out a balanced pro/con piece. I don't believe the guy to be evil or motivated to misrepresent the facts (hell I yanked gear for him for many years), but his timing and accuracy could not have been more off the mark.

It wasn't but three weeks later we announced an aggregate 8% reduction in flying, cancellation of future new hire classes and rescheduling of aircraft deliveries.

Now, for the first time in our history we have 10 year FOs, with the upgrade window growing longer by the month. We have downgraded captains and cut our lance captain program.

Many captains who were hired before 1999 have a difficult time understanding our new reality. I know this because when these 10 year FOs sit down with me I hear the stories of clueless captains.

When I started, Chief Pilots and Check Airman made it those positions around the 6 - 8 year point. This, for me, underscores just how different our reality is now from the past.

SL

Well done!:beer:
The first dose of reality from a sw guy on this forum in a long while!

A SWA poolie is only a poolie. If Mother Delta calls you'd be a fool not to hot foot it over there. You'll have a great job while you wait to see if "that other joint" calls for a class date.

Gup

Are any of you at the bottom of the SWA seniority list considering leaving for one of the other carrier's that have announced hiring (Delta, Air Tran and Jet Blue)?

Thanks in advance.

I doubt that there are. While there may be some that entertain the thought, the reality is that our most junior class is coming up on year 3 pay in September, which is pretty darn good coin. That alone would make it really difficult to rationalize a move to the bottom of another paylist at year one pay.

That being said, we have a lot of east coasters commuting to OAK, LAS and PHX, and it really does start to get to you. I would think that if anyone were seriously considering going to another airline, it would be most likely be to an airline with a base closer to home for them-- which would be a mistake because that plan could easily backfire if for some reason they didn't get their choice of base at the other carrier and the music stopped leaving them stuck there, as well.

I think most of us see a small light just beginning to form at the end of the tunnel with the possibility for some growth and/or base shifting with what seems as a possibility that Denver will open up. For those of you in the pool--keep your chin up and thanks for waiting. As one of the folks making the above mentioned commute, I for one can say that although it sucks at times, it has really been well worth it. Lots of great guys here who are really looking forward to buying your beer on overnights!

...even if they cost $5 a piece. Now you just get one instead of five.

This whole gig will be worth the wait. Keep the faith.

No, no, no. ;-)
if I'm around, you'll still get 5(!) and probably a shot or two!
;-)

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back