• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

For Sale on eBay: "Like New" MiG 21

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
To own and operate that airplane you would probably need a "formal" relationship with the likes of Lockheed Martin. A lot of the most recent fighters can not be owned, much less operated without some sort of program in place to suggest that there is a meaningful purpose for the existance of such a weapon system to be in the hands of civilians.

The price of that MIG is way way to much. That jet should be selling for about 100k. You can find them so much cheaper in Trade A Plane. And of course there is the problem of insuring that aircraft....so so pricey for teh liability.

Wankel

Hot Seats?

I wonder if the ejection seats are hot. It could cost more than the price of the aircraft to make them that way if they are not. I notice that it is not mentioned in the specs.

Spooky 1 said:
I wonder if the ejection seats are hot. It could cost more than the price of the aircraft to make them that way if they are not. I notice that it is not mentioned in the specs.

From what I have seen on the Mig17 it is not that much heartache to get the seat to be good to go....get the charges inplace and make sure the chute is repacked...

You might be right as I suspect that there is a ton of surplus stuff available somewhere. Transporting it to your maint. facility might be the really big problem these days.

If you bought an old jet warbird I am rather sure you could register it as an experimental aircraft. Under the exhibition part...

So, that would let you turn your own wrenchs on the airplane you just need to find a trusting AP and or IA to sign off your annuals. Not suggesting anything shaddy...just somebody who can review your work and give it the ok.

Now, that is assuming you are able to turn your own wrenchs. If you can't then maintance will be getting stupid expensive.

My earlier comments were directed at the F16. I am pretty sure that this aircraft, unless it was built under lisc. outside of the US, could be registered here in the US without such an arrangement. We operate an F5B that has origins in Norway, thus we were able to put an N number on it and use it at will.

NuGuy said:
So does the smoking hole...

Nu

Nope, the smoking hole costs money too. Cuz you ain't gonna be a hole unless you get airborne, and in a -21, it'll cost about 4000 bucks an hour.

Latest resources

Back