• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Follow your contract :HOTEL VANS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've had to spend many nights in a hotel, on my own dime, for following the contract/FOM. I still log all mx discrepencies and taxi at a safe speed even when I have a tight commute home. Short term pain = Long term gain.

Good for you Web. We need more guys to take a stand around here.

Last edited:
I think we just found the Captain............

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Nah, I've got bigger problems than these.

But, if you think that this is the most effective way to build the unity necessary to accomplish his goals, I'd have to disagree. When it comes time to vote on a lousy TA, will the folks he had a run in with want to support him and his cause?

Wes decided that Uncompliant Vans was the hill he wanted to die on. I have to ask where was he when the decision was made to switch departure times? Why did he bother calling his company to tell them he wasn't leaving with the rest of the crew?(Why would they care?) What other decisions during the flight would he decide to disregard? Is pursuing Zero Tolerance in contract compliance morally superior to maintaining a safe open-communication flight deck? How would Wes explain an incident that resulted from such a toxic flight deck environment?

And the captain that felt it was his responsibility to defuse this is called juvenile names?

He certainly has the right to his contractual rights, but I disagree with the way he decided to handle the issue.

weather or MEL items the Capt might have wanted some extra time to review??? there has to be something missing to "f.o. Jr Halfbright's" story here

Heyas,

It goes beyond just contractual compliance. If I report early to check weather or deal with an MEL, then I'm on the duty clock.

God forbid something bad happens later that night, and the FAA finds out you were past your legal duty day or shortchanged your rest period because you reported "early". You can BET the company would be "nope, THEY made the choice to report early, so the fatigue is ON THE CREW"

1:00 is plenty early. Any issues that are beyond that, then we can take the delay to be safe.

Nu

NWes is not a whiner or a malcontent. This DB was as F'd up as a football bat.

^^^ That. I know Wes, I've flown with Wes. I have no dog in this fight, but what I can tell you is that if this captain elicited this response from Wes it was well deserved.

Nah, I've got bigger problems than these.

But, if you think that this is the most effective way to build the unity necessary to accomplish his goals, I'd have to disagree. When it comes time to vote on a lousy TA, will the folks he had a run in with want to support him and his cause?

Wes decided that Uncompliant Vans was the hill he wanted to die on. I have to ask where was he when the decision was made to switch departure times? Why did he bother calling his company to tell them he wasn't leaving with the rest of the crew?(Why would they care?) What other decisions during the flight would he decide to disregard? Is pursuing Zero Tolerance in contract compliance morally superior to maintaining a safe open-communication flight deck? How would Wes explain an incident that resulted from such a toxic flight deck environment?

And the captain that felt it was his responsibility to defuse this is called juvenile names?

He certainly has the right to his contractual rights, but I disagree with the way he decided to handle the issue.

The Captain instigated the labor-management relation discussion on the flight deck ( and trust me, there is no debate on where he sided, it was made very clear). However, when his feeble attempts to change my mind failed, the line between opinion and antagonism was crossed in my opinion.

And what on God's Green Earth made you think he made any attempt to defuse the situation?

And which section of our collective bargaining agreement would you have us violate on a routine basis?

Wesb

There are two ways to lead. One by example, and the other through fear and intimidation.

We had a Captain at NW, who tried to arrange our show time a 1/2 hour earlier than scheduled. We were on day one of a five-day trip with a common crew including a 30-year Lead Flight attendant. When the Captain told me in the van to the hotel that he wanted our crew to show a 1/2 hour earlier than scheduled the next morning, I said, "Why don't you run that one by our Lead and see what she has to say."

Problem solved.

It turned out to be a pretty good trip and we left the hotel every morning per the schedule. And yeah, I passed the buck, but she did a much better job of explaining duty times to him than I ever could.

Last edited:
Why would your duty time be affected if you showed up voluntarily 30 mins early??

The Captain instigated the labor-management relation discussion on the flight deck ( and trust me, there is no debate on where he sided, it was made very clear). However, when his feeble attempts to change my mind failed, the line between opinion and antagonism was crossed in my opinion.

And what on God's Green Earth made you think he made any attempt to defuse the situation?

And which section of our collective bargaining agreement would you have us violate on a routine basis?

Wesb

There are two ways to lead. One by example, and the other through fear and intimidation.

Wer his initials CS or BL by chance?

Wes
This AT pilot got it and enjoyed your post. Funny how the other folks jumped in with no clue about what you were talkin bout.

Latest resources

Back