• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Flying Pet Peeves!!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Pilot's who talk about flightinfo.com all the time...

Finally someone understands

TonyC said:
The last several posts highlight my biggest peeve, and it has to do with instructing.

I hate it when an Instuctor insists that HIS technique is the BEST technique, it's the ONLY technique that anyone should use, and you should treat it as a PROCEDURE. If you plan to please said Instructor and be passed on the ride by said Instructor, you very well better use the Instructor's technique and none other.

It belies a weakness in the character and knowledge of the Instructor, and it does the student a disservice.

(SECOND VERSE: Apply same to Captain / First Officer relationship.)
This was the whole point of my first post "DONT BE SO QUICK TO JUDGE" Just because someone is doing something differently than the way you do it dont assume the person is doing something wrong. You have to be dynamic as a pilot and especially as an instructor. You cant teach every one the same way. I would very much like to take a student to a non-busy non-towered airport and teach them calls but some circumstances dont allow it. This goes for alot of things like for example: wide patterns. Before I was an instructor I used to get so pissed when people flew wide patterns or extended further than I liked. But after instructing for a while you learn why sometimes its necessary to fly an extended pattern.

There are many differnet ways to fly a plane safely and remain within the rules. Everyones got a slightly different techniqe (especially in the part 91 and 135 world) The best pilots are the ones who understand this and can adjust accordingly when needed.

TonyC said:
The last several posts highlight my biggest peeve, and it has to do with instructing.

I hate it when an Instuctor insists that HIS technique is the BEST technique, it's the ONLY technique that anyone should use, and you should treat it as a PROCEDURE. If you plan to please said Instructor and be passed on the ride by said Instructor, you very well better use the Instructor's technique and none other.

It belies a weakness in the character and knowledge of the Instructor, and it does the student a disservice.

I always thought the second verse was the same as the first. "I'm Henery the Eighth I am, Henery the Eighth I am, I am. I got married to the widow next door, she's been married seven times before.....etc. etc......"

Sorry for the misguided attempt at some humor, back to the regularly scheduled Pet Peeve disscussion:)

"Blocked!" "blocked!" "BLOCKED!" ..........blocking each other as you all scream "blocked!"

IAH controllers.. from the ground, to the tower, to approach/departure, to center.
they must not talk to each other. one has you slow to 280 and vector you all over creation. next has you max forward, direct whatever. next asks your speed and where you're going.
On the ground, don't dare miss an instruction.. if you have the nerve to ask them to repeat it, be prepared to be spoken to with disdain and sarcasm. oh.. you also taxi too slow/fast, depending on the hour. you never taxi just right in iah.

TonyC said:

Students require a set method and concrete procedure to learn anything. If you say "this is the way that I do it, but you can do it how you want," then the student (especially an inexperienced one) will change his/her pattern each time they do a set task.

Pilots are creatures of habit. Experienced pilots may do what they want, how they want, because they more fully understand the multiple facets that must be covered. A student doesn't. Thus, something concrete gives both a more solid basis for understanding on the student's side, as well as a more concrete item to critique/review for the instructor.

Now then, this doesn't necessarily mean that the instructor's ways are correct. If there is another way, the instructor should study it, evaluate its merits, and then make a decision as to whether it is appropriate to include in their teaching practices. This decision may very from instructor to instructor, or student to student.

But we're all in agreement that there are multiple ways to get the same thing accomplished. Regardless, the overall goal is to get it done quickly, safely, and as effeciently as possible.

Beech drivers

Beech 1900 passengers and their funny funny jokes.

"Oh my God is this small!"
"Look, I have a window seat and an aisle seat."
"Are you old enough to fly this thing?"
"When are they going to let you fly the real planes?"
"Why does the flight attendant ride up front?"
"It says alot about your plane(company) when it is so dirty."(refering to exhaust soot)
"Whats the inflight movie?"

Whatever, how come everyone becomes a comedian on a 1900?

And thank God we fly with the doors shut now but I use to just love the private pilot or wannabe sitting in 1C giving his critique to the people around them. I would just turn around, smile, and close the door.

BankAccount=0$ said:
I always thought the second verse was the same as the first. "I'm Henery the Eighth I am, Henery the Eighth I am, I am. I got married to the widow next door, she's been married seven times before.....etc. etc......"

Sorry for the misguided attempt at some humor, back to the regularly scheduled Pet Peeve disscussion:)
Funny thing, that song was ringing in the back of my mind even as I typed that.

:)

:D

Humor is a good thing, even in the middle of a good Pet Peeve thread.

First off, congrats to DCmartin for having the best avatar I've ever seen!

On to the pet peeve: FBO's who use the airport unicom as their arinc frequency. Do you have any idea how many airports you can hear/reach from 20,000+ feet and 80 miles out on 122.8?! Makes it tough to ensure that you pax have their ride waiting when the freq is congested...and I hate talking on 122.8 because God only knows how many people are hearing you and how much of a freq. congestion problem you're causing. FBO's, get a dedicated arinc freq! Oh yeah, turn up the volume too!

Flying Illini said:
On to the pet peeve: FBO's who use the airport unicom as their arinc frequency. Do you have any idea how many airports you can hear/reach from 20,000+ feet and 80 miles out on 122.8?! Makes it tough to ensure that you pax have their ride waiting when the freq is congested...and I hate talking on 122.8 because God only knows how many people are hearing you and how much of a freq. congestion problem you're causing. FBO's, get a dedicated arinc freq! Oh yeah, turn up the volume too!
There is an FBO at VNY that has the same ops frequency as Eagle in LAX. Every now and then you'll hear some Gulfstream calling to ask about their transportation. I just talk over 'em!

LAXSaabdude.

Latest resources

Back