• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Flying Pet Peeves!!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
pilots who think every flight is a leg going to the F`in moon... they take it sooo serious they dont enjoy it.

and 2nd, guys senior to me that are younger.

Thinking for Yourself

zeroline said:
Dont be so quick to judge. CFI's have to teach their students how to request an airport asdvisory. When your student flys once a week on saturday when every uncontrolled airports pattern in the area is busy as $h!t, you cant only have him/her listen to the radio to figure out whats going on in the pattern. Sure, thats what they should do. But, because of primacy, if thats all they do, thats alll they WILL EVER do. They will never ask for a traffic advisory unless you make sure they do it every once in a while. This scenario often happens to be the case more often than not.
So what you want is for a student to tie up a busy CTAF frequency (which is often the same as UNICOM) to get an airport advisory because they can't figure out from the wind and local traffic what the current runway is?

"XYZ traffic, Cessna 12345 entered left downwind for runway 36." That seems pretty self explanatory to me what runway to use.

"XYZ Airport Weather. Wind 360@12..." That seems pretty self explanatory to me, too.
Yeah, the law of primacy is in effect here, but so is common sense. Just because it's the first thing that they've learned that does not mean that it is going to be the only thing that they learn.

I would think that any basic intro to communications at non-towered airports would include the "use common sense" clause. There is no need for an airport advisory, local airport advisory, or whatever the he!! you want to call it. Get the weather yourself, listen to traffic, and use your brain to make a decision.

Last edited:
[font=&quot]People who call for an airport advisory ON THE GROUND while staring right at the big day-glow orange windsock. This is especially true if there are 50 planes in the pattern.

The dorky instructor who calls for the above airport advisory (5 times) and when unicom does not answer asks the only other plane around (me) why "everyone" is using (the crosswind runway) when the wind (all 5 kts of it) CLEARLY favors the other runway. It’s a non-towered airport here sparky, use whatever one you want!

People who try to fly MY plane instead of theirs. This means YOU Mr. Centurion guy who entered a wide downwind behind me and just had to check with me if I was going to make the runway since I was so close.

CAP pilots who freak out because they loose sight of me in the pattern and when they finally see me freak out more because I am on base lower than they are in the downwind. New concept here... DECEND to land.

Pilots who try to use an IAP to cover for a right pattern. To the guy in that Bonanza who nearly hit me. The VOR 21 comes in from the other side. Might be time to get those navs checked.

Pilots who fly IFR VFR.

Controllers who are consistently unpleasant.

That's all I got for now.
[/font]

Flight_Line said:
[font=&quot]Pilots who fly IFR VFR.
[/font]
Does this refer to people who don't scan and spend too much time reading the instruments rather than looking outsite (I have this problem and I am trying to break it) or something else?

dseagrav said:
Does this refer to people who don't scan and spend too much time reading the instruments rather than looking outsite (I have this problem and I am trying to break it) or something else?
No, it refers to the guy who blasts off into the soup VFR.

You are missing the point

pilotman2105 said:
So what you want is for a student to tie up a busy CTAF frequency (which is often the same as UNICOM) to get an airport advisory because they can't figure out from the wind and local traffic what the current runway is?

"XYZ traffic, Cessna 12345 entered left downwind for runway 36." That seems pretty self explanatory to me what runway to use.

"XYZ Airport Weather. Wind 360@12..." That seems pretty self explanatory to me, too.
Yeah, the law of primacy is in effect here, but so is common sense. Just because it's the first thing that they've learned that does not mean that it is going to be the only thing that they learn.

I would think that any basic intro to communications at non-towered airports would include the "use common sense" clause. There is no need for an airport advisory, local airport advisory, or whatever the he!! you want to call it. Get the weather yourself, listen to traffic, and use your brain to make a decision.
I assume zero flight instructed in Southern Cali or DC area or a busy are like the two.(they are extremely busy especially on the weekend) I have ran into the same problem that was stated. There is nothing wrongwith plugging in CTAF/UNICOM and (even though there are two or three aircraft in the pattern) saying to your student, "you want to practice that call to UNICOM to get an airport advisory." Even though you wouldnt do it in the same situation, its important that your student learn how to do it sometime. You have them try it just so they Know how to do it. Which is exactly what zero stated. You should read more carefully next time.

I understand what he said and I disagree with both zero and your comments regarding the matter. If you truly want to follow the situation that you're proposing, do it like this:

If there are aircraft in the pattern, use the runway that they are using OR whatever is called for by the reported weather. THAT is what you are going to do in a realistic situation.

If there are NO aircraft in the pattern, then find the local weather. This can be either your airport advisory or tuning in ASOS and make the determination from that.

Yeah, you want to teach your students, but you want to explain WHY you are using one particular method to determine the active runway. This is opposed to blinding interrupting a busy CTAF/UNICOM frequency to get an airport advisory because you have a student on board. That isn't realistic. Go to an airport where it generally isn't busy to practice the airport advisory thing.

DCMartin said:
I assume zero flight instructed in Southern Cali or DC area or a busy are like the two.(they are extremely busy especially on the weekend) I have ran into the same problem that was stated. There is nothing wrongwith plugging in CTAF/UNICOM and (even though there are two or three aircraft in the pattern) saying to your student, "you want to practice that call to UNICOM to get an airport advisory." Even though you wouldnt do it in the same situation, its important that your student learn how to do it sometime. You have them try it just so they Know how to do it. Which is exactly what zero stated. You should read more carefully next time.

The last several posts highlight my biggest peeve, and it has to do with instructing.

I hate it when an Instuctor insists that HIS technique is the BEST technique, it's the ONLY technique that anyone should use, and you should treat it as a PROCEDURE. If you plan to please said Instructor and be passed on the ride by said Instructor, you very well better use the Instructor's technique and none other.

It belies a weakness in the character and knowledge of the Instructor, and it does the student a disservice.

(SECOND VERSE: Apply same to Captain / First Officer relationship.)

Maybe I misunderstand what you're trying to say, but if you're number one at the hold bars waiting for traffic and the guy behind you calls ready to go-- he might get cleared, but in most cases he's not going to be able to go around you to get to the runway. That's a pretty good way to piss off a controller I would imagine. Of course, this is all a moot point if everyone just waited until they were number one before they called ready to depart.
That's exactly what I'm saying.....at my home airport, the taxiways are about 200ft wide at the point where they intersect with the runway. This is plenty of room for airplanes to taxi around each other. If the guy behind you calls in ready because you were waiting for the guy on short final to land, you just got leap frogged. Calling in ready is how you "get in line" so to speak.

Latest resources

Back