• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Flying ion grace month

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I beg to differ. First their is no such thing as an "early" grace month. But back to the point. If you fly as PIC in your "grace" (13th) month and you do not complete your recurrent training in that month, then all that flying, as PIC in the 13th month, is illegal.
See part 135.301(a)

See part 135.301(a)
315.301 - Crewmember: Tests and checks, grace provisions, training to accepted standards.

(a) If a crewmember who is required to take a test or a flight check under this part, completes the test or flight check in the calendar month before or after the calendar month in which it is required, that crewmember is considered to have completed the test or check in the calendar month in which it is required.

We have many pilots drop dead for training, for a variety of reasons. You just follow the re-qual provisions of the 8900 as outlined in your company's FAA approved training program. You mark re-qual on the the checking form. Never a question being legal flying in your grace month, dropping dead and checking the next week.

315.301 - Crewmember: Tests and checks, grace provisions, training to accepted standards.

(a) If a crewmember who is required to take a test or a flight check under this part, completes the test or flight check in the calendar month before or after the calendar month in which it is required, that crewmember is considered to have completed the test or check in the calendar month in which it is required.

We have many pilots drop dead for training, for a variety of reasons. You just follow the re-qual provisions of the 8900 as outlined in your company's FAA approved training program. You mark re-qual on the the checking form. Never a question being legal flying in your grace month, dropping dead and checking the next week.

It is the bold part that is the reason that some are saying it is illegal. Different POIs will tell you different things, but I think it is pretty clear that if you fly into your grace month, you must have the check by the last day of that month or you would be in violation of the reg. Just my interpretation....

Just my interpretation....
not mine or our POI for both 121 and 135. Everyone has done this a KYIP since they poured the first yard of concrete here in 1941

not mine or our POI for both 121 and 135. Everyone has done this a KYIP since they poured the first yard of concrete here in 1941

Well at a certain northeast FSDO, if the check is not completed by the last day of the calendar month after it was due the the flying completed in the last calendar month is not considered on compliance with the reg. Just telling you how it was told to me.

Well at a certain northeast FSDO, if the check is not completed by the last day of the calendar month after it was due the the flying completed in the last calendar month is not considered on compliance with the reg. Just telling you how it was told to me.

There are always a few rogue and wrong inspectors.

What happens if you fail the check in the grace month? what happens if you quit in the grace month? what happens if you get sick in the grace month? are they going to bust you? No way this would hold up if they tried that.

Someone was/is trying to read too much into that reg. JMHO

There are always a few rogue and wrong inspectors.

What happens if you fail the check in the grace month? what happens if you quit in the grace month? what happens if you get sick in the grace month? are they going to bust you? No way this would hold up if they tried that.

Someone was/is trying to read too much into that reg. JMHO

Exactly. I left a job years ago, IN MY GRACE MONTH. Told the company I was leaving, so they wouldn't have to send me to a recurrent. No one came back and busted me!

Latest resources

Back