Flying for the Air Force

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PilotOnTheRise

I have a few questions for any of you Air Force, or other military pilots.

I am a current college student. I have become very interested in flying for the Air Force, and have been looking into the AFROTC program. Now, I realize that getting a pilot/navigator slot is not guaranteed, but does having a private help? Also, do you military men and women recommend the military as a way to go for a career, flying or not? It seems like being an officer in the military is a really good route to go, but I want to hear first hand from some of you guys.

Thanks,
Chris

I am not an Officer nor am i in the military (yet, will be going enlisted ANG soon). To shin some light in your direction being an Officer in the military is a good thing to be. Especially as a pilot/nav. Haveing your private license does help alittle bit from what im told. It will help you when your testing for a pilot slot and such. AFROTC is a good thing to be apart of, however you must understand that your arent guaranteed a pilots slot and your still going to have to give a comitment to the AF once your commissioned.

bobs98tlr said:
I am not an Officer nor am i in the military (yet, will be going enlisted ANG soon). To shin some light in your direction being an Officer in the military is a good thing to be. Especially as a pilot/nav. Haveing your private license does help alittle bit from what im told. It will help you when your testing for a pilot slot and such. AFROTC is a good thing to be apart of, however you must understand that your arent guaranteed a pilots slot and your still going to have to give a comitment to the AF once your commissioned.

I understand I will not be guaranteed a pilot slot. I also realize you still have a commitment. But, even if I did not get a pilot slot, I still would like to hear what you military guys think about a career in the military as an officer.

When will you be enlisting and with who?

I was a 2 year ROTC cadet, 4 year navigator, 10 year active duty pilot and now I've been in the reserves for 4 years. Life as an officer has been pretty good.

The military has a whole bunch of non-flying related stuff that has to be done and they have you 24/7/365. Even when you are on leave they will sometimes call you in (no often). You do miss some family events like birthdays and anniversaries. As for the flying, better training than you can get any place else, really. It's tough and a lot of guys don't make it, but you know you've accomplished something. There is a commitment after training and it's a long time, but you're making pretty decent money (not too hard to raise a family on the pay) and you're building your flight time.

You could also join a guard or reserve unit. You'll be employed full time while you complete training (2 - 2 1/2 years), but then you'll need to find another job, unless you don't need much money, then you can be a bum. I can tell you more about that if you PM me. You won't have enough hours to get hired at even a regional airline for several more years.

It's not a bad way of life, but there is a reason people still call it 'service,' you're life is not entirely your own.

I will be joining the Illinois Air National Guard in Peoria, IL. Its a C-130 unit. Im waiting on some paper work to go through but i sould be picking a job and enlisting sometime in 2 weeks. Hopefully getting a loadmaster or crew chief postion.

You can make decent money bumming usually around 40K.I know KC-135 and C-17 guys who love it.They can make there own schedule fly all around the world and don't have to fly for a regional.It wouldn't take long to make it to the airlines,they average between 500 and 700 hrs a year.The only bad part is no health insurance.Also most upgrade around a year and half.Check out baseops.net they have good info.

POTR,

you do get health ins., and I am enlisted bumming more than 40k. If you're an O-2 or above you will too. It's a good life pilot or not.

bobs,

Good choice. The GI bill will pick up 60% of the tab from here on out. I think ILL you get free tuition on top of that at a state school. Anyway make sure you get the job you want. If not just threaten to not go. They can't stop you at this point, and if that recruiter doesn’t give you what you want. Shop around, for another recruiter.

How are you getting health insurance.The C-17 pilot I talked to said he would have never left bumming if it wasn't for insurance.

insurance

YOU get insurance, but not your family. Health is covered only while you are on Duty, you are SOL once off. Life Insurance is different. If you are paying for SGLI, it goes 365 days a year (you are paying the same rate an AD guy is so you are covered all year round). There is some rumblings about Reservists being able to pay into the Tricare system and cover their families with full medical and dental, but I haven't seen it put in to force yet. Someone else may have more info on this.

Does the Marine Corps still guarantee pilot slots during PLC? In '88 I was guaranteed a pilot slot after my first semester of college b/c I passed the AQT/FAR. All I had to do was make it thru OCS and TBS and keep a 2.5 or better GPA. I am dumfounded why more haven't taken that route instead of rolling the dice with one of the other services and being a supply officer (not that there's anything wrong with that). Plus you won't fly anything in the Corps that isn't fun.

Semper Fly

Latest resources

Back