• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Flying for the Air Force

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ROTC is the best of both worlds... you have a job in the military as an officer when you graduate, but for the mean time, you have your college years ahead of you (and you don't want to miss out on those).

Just remember, there are lots of pros and cons to anything. One of the best about being a pilot in the military is the personal satasfaction that it gives me. There is not much else I would rather do then be flying. On the negative side... well, enough said.

psysicx said:
How are you getting health insurance.The C-17 pilot I talked to said he would have never left bumming if it wasn't for insurance.

Active Duty, you and your family gets full health, dental, and wonderful other benefits.

Military takes care of ya.

My two cents,

You can get insurance for your family any time you are on AD orders for 30 days or longer. Also if you pull a Noble Eagle or Enduring/Iraqi Freedom tour for 30 days or longer you are given 180 days of AD Tricare for you and your family after you finish your orders. I live near a AD base so my Tricare is free. The 180 day policy is part of the new enhancements for Guard/Reserve medical benee's..

As far as being able to buy into Tricare. I called Tricare a few weeks ago and was told that by law that program is to be in effect in April. They had no details about premiums. But like every other government program delays are almost a gaurantee.

Bobs98tlr,

Peoria is a great unit. I'll see you there.

CLAMBAKE

I'm in the home stretch to getting my wings here at UPT. I'm a reservist heading to the KC-10 after graduation. I can easily tell you that joining the USAF was hands-down the BEST decision I ever made. It's awesome to work with a group of people who are so professional and dedicated to their work (and to their play time as well).

Pay is great. In AETC, I rarely work on a weekend (operational USAF is obviously different). I get great pay/benefits. I earn more than a number of my counterparts at regional airlines. You just can't beat the way the USAF treats you (esp. as an officer).

In the civilian world, I was a flight instructor. They worked us like DOGS for sh**ty pay, no benefits, and it wasn't unusual to work 3 weeks straight without a day off. I HATED it.

Plus... I get to do cool sh** every day. Aerobatics (not in the T-1 though), formation, low levels, etc. I am actually excited to go to work every morning.

Just my .02

Skyward80

Last edited:
Do it. You won't regret it. I did it 30 yrs ago and now look. I can see visitors on the weekends and soon I will take solid food again. What was the question....?

GO SAINTS!!

Rising One,
From one Saints fan to another it is worth it. Active Duty or Guard/Reserve I don't think you'll regret it. The military might not be your cup of tea for 20+ years but I don't think you will regret the experience and knowing you served your country. Just my flag waving .02

Last edited:
Thanks all of you who have responded to my thread. I definately think I want to do the AFROTC route. Flying has always been a dream of mine and what better than to hopefully get my training and experience through the AF. If it is a career as an AF pilot great, or if I decide to leave at some point I would be set for an airline job.

I have one other question. Part of becoming an AF pilot involves the FC1 physical. I have been reading some stuff on this and it almost seems scary, lol. It seems as though they are looking for the slightest thing to DQ you. For those of you who have it, can you briefly tell me in general what is involved with it?

Don't sweat the physical. As long as you meet whatever the current vision requirements are, and haven't ruined your hearing, most college age people should not have a problem with the physical.

Good luck, and don't listen to any of the Navy recruiters

Navy is Definitely the way to go!

You get to land on a ship!, Don't have to stand up and recite EP's in front a ready room, get WAY more say in how you fly, and won't have to put up with movies like Iron Eagle 4.

Air force bases are in places like Minot ND, Mountain Home UT, and BFE Nowhere like Edward's.

Navy bases are in JAX. FL, North Island CA, Pensacola FL, and Whidbey Island WA.

We are more blue collar then the AF, but all that means is you won't get to wear an ascot.

They may have pretty airplanes, but try to land one on the ship and it will fall apart like Texas brisket off the bone.

GO NAVY!!!!

(Of course this is meant in the most loving of ways, but I expect alot of flak)

Latest resources

Back