• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Fight's On!

Bjammin said:
Navy is Definitely the way to go!

You get to land on a ship!, Don't have to stand up and recite EP's in front a ready room, get WAY more say in how you fly, and won't have to put up with movies like Iron Eagle 4.

Air force bases are in places like Minot ND, Mountain Home UT, and BFE Nowhere like Edward's.

Navy bases are in JAX. FL, North Island CA, Pensacola FL, and Whidbey Island WA.

We are more blue collar then the AF, but all that means is you won't get to wear an ascot.

They may have pretty airplanes, but try to land one on the ship and it will fall apart like Texas brisket off the bone.

GO NAVY!!!!

(Of course this is meant in the most loving of ways, but I expect alot of flak)

Incoming flak.

Why not to go navy.

1) You have to land on the **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**ing boat.
2) Naval air staions at such garden spots as El Centro, California, Meridian, Mississippi and Fallon, Nevada.
3) Won't have to iron your flighsuit because you can't wear them unless you're flying. How 'bout them "pinks", eh boys?
4) Don't have to listen to "I feel the need....for speed" jokes, Mav.
5) Did I mention that you have to land on the boat? Oh yeah, and you live there for months on end too. Neat.
6) Won't have to justify tailhook. It ruined fighter pilot life as we knew it.

;)

Registered Eye-Poker, indeed! May I pile on??
- Navy Garden Spots: North Sea in the winter, Indian Ocean for 7 months, Bearing Straits, Persian Gulf, N 05 00' E 03 00', etc...
- Great additional duties (department "head"?; gee, I want to be the Public Affairs officer for my squadron... PLEASE!!!)
- Lots of opportunity for flying once you make O-4: just ask the Hoover and Tomcat guys.
- 100% of AF UPT graduates go to fixed wing. What's the Navy's percentage?
- If you want to fly helos in the AF, they'll send you to Helo UPT, and 100% of those guys get helos.
- can I see a show of hands from all those pilots that did an interservice transfer from the Navy TO the AF? Anyone.... anyone? Beuhler??

Remember: we're the AIR Force. We don't drive boats. We fly JETS (and some helos). We're the experts.

What on earth are "pinks"? I thought that was the just the color of standard Air Force Issue underwear.

If Doug'y was out on a vollyball court covered in sweat, he would truly be representin'

Why do Air Force guys play pool with their hands? Oh wait, the cues are stuck where the sun don't shine and THAT'S why their so stiff.

GO NAVY!

PilotOnTheRise said:
I understand I will not be guaranteed a pilot slot. I also realize you still have a commitment. But, even if I did not get a pilot slot, I still would like to hear what you military guys think about a career in the military as an officer.

When will you be enlisting and with who?

When you're within a year of getting your degree, you can apply to OTS. You can apply to be a pilot, and if selected, that's what you'll go do.

I think in general, a career in the military is a good thing. Also, serving in the military give you a chance to serve your country while building a strong resume for future employment opportunities.

Good luck.

Bjammin said:
Why do Air Force guys play pool with their hands? Oh wait, the cues are stuck where the sun don't shine and THAT'S why their so stiff.

GO NAVY!

Air Force does not have the monopoly on uptight people, but the ones we do have are exactly as Bjammin described.

One flight engineer was talking with me about one of our Active Duty AF pilots, Maj V. He said that Maj V. was so uptight, that you couldn't get an icepick up his butt with a sledgehammer. Nice illustration, huh?

I do strongly recommend playing Combat Crud at your earliest convenience, though. Definitely NOT a game for the timid.

Personally, I couldn't do the boat thing, but that's just me.

Most AF and Navy

Patmack18 said:
P.S.: Air Force pilots wear scarves and iron their flight suits.

Nah, it's just a rumor. While everyone's issued a scarf, the only guys I've ever seen wear them are missle pukes. Never did iron a bag. Maybe I missed out.

skyward80 said:
I'm in the home stretch to getting my wings here at UPT. I'm a reservist heading to the KC-10 after graduation. I can easily tell you that joining the USAF was hands-down the BEST decision I ever made. It's awesome to work with a group of people who are so professional and dedicated to their work (and to their play time as well).

Pay is great. In AETC, I rarely work on a weekend (operational USAF is obviously different). I get great pay/benefits. I earn more than a number of my counterparts at regional airlines. You just can't beat the way the USAF treats you (esp. as an officer).

Skyward80

Congrats on the KC-10. You love it.

As for the ironed flight-suited guys you ran into: there was a time in the 90's when the flight suits were made with the crease in them. You couldn't get it out if you tried. Most actually had a bead that ran down the front left and front right side, and I saw some guys using a razor blade to cut them off. That was also when they made the right leg calf pocket deeper: the word was that someone didn't like the flight cap showing when it was in there.
The USAF uniform board does not have a good track record, and they definitely don't seem to understand the needs of the warriors that fly and fight for a living. Have you seen the new AF physical fitness uniform?
Now, we're pretty much back to the old style flight suits with the same original problems as they always had. Gotta love them!

Those flight suits were McPeak's idea and they were called "Fag Bags"

CLAMBAKE

Latest resources

Back