FlyI Files Ch. 11 BK

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dizel8 said:
Or maybe he just wanted to get out from under the thumb of UAL, after all, they are pretty good a whipsawing the feeders against each other and maybe, just maybe, he believed it possible that FlyI could stand on its own.

Who knows, had fuel not taken off, they may have been more successfull.

I worked there. The plan was predicated on $30/barrel fuel but that's not the whole part. The RJs cost per seat mile was predicted to be 11 cents. While that doesn't seem like much it is. It was 11 cents if the aircraft were full every day which had 15 plus flights to each destination sold only on the flyi website.

There was alot of arrogance involved and it led to the demise of the airline.

I have to side with Lowcur. It's quite apparent from the timing that they have no intension of reorganization. If they had wanted to try and save the company they would have filed prior to the 10/17 law change (like NWA and DAl did) Once the BK laws went into effect I air lost all of their leverage. Form here on in it just a matter of putting the remainng assets up for sale and slowly part out the airline (like Pan Am did).

I feel for the Iair folks, good luck.

Independence Air Bankruptcy Should Benefit Industry

By Ann Keeton, Of DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

CHICAGO -(Dow Jones)- To no one's surprise, FLYI Inc. (FLYI), which operates low-cost airline Independence Air, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in Delaware Monday.

As former regional contractor Atlantic Coast Airlines, the airline was a partner with United Airlines, a unit of UAL Corp. (UALAQ), and Delta Air Lines Inc. (DAL). The carrier last year became an independent airline with a hub at Dulles International Airport outside Washington D.C.

But, in a tough competitive environment, and with rising fuel cost, the airline's business plan never got off the ground.

Analysts said Monday that the airline's plan in bankruptcy - to auction off its assets - will benefit East Coast competitors.

Analyst Gary Chase at Lehman Brothers said Monday that, with domestic airline capacity expected to shrink 3% or more in 2006, he is changing his view on the sector to positive from negative.

The FLYI bankruptcy is different from other airline bankruptcies, he wrote, because there won't be a protracted reorganization. FLYI plans to sell its assets by Jan. 5, 2006.

"We see two possible outcomes," Chase wrote Monday. "The first would be for existing industry players to purchase selected assets of the company and grow into some of the void created by FLYI in Washington." Two likely buyers would be JetBlue Airways Corp. (JBLU) or AirTran Holdings Inc. (AAI). Or, Chase wrote, several potential startup airlines may look at acquiring FLYI's assets, which include its legal operating certificate, facilities, aircraft and trained employees.

The biggest beneficiaries of the bankruptcy, Chase wrote, are US Airways Inc. (LCC), AirTran, JetBlue and Southwest Airlines Inc. (LUV).

FLYI said Monday it will continue to operate normal passenger service. The airline said it needs to conserve cash while it finds a buyer.

The carrier operates a fleet of 62 aircraft, including 50 regional jets, with more than 3,200 employees.

In a statement, Chief Executive Kerry Skeen said high fuel prices and weak revenue prevented the airline from meeting its operational goals. During its short lifetime, the airline struggled to fill seats of its regional jets, even though fares were competitive with low-cost rivals.

Analyst Ray Neidl at Calyon Securities said investors have been expecting a FYLI bankruptcy, since the shares have traded below $1 for some time.

"We did not believe that FLYI's model of using regional jets as a low-cost airline was ever feasible," he wrote, because of the relatively high cost of operating a regional jet. "The only way we saw any potential value for stockholders was if the company went back to being a regional feeder airline."

The FLYI bankruptcy will benefit direct competitors, Neidl wrote, but he isn't optimistic about long-term capacity reduction in the U.S. Current capacity reduction will be replaced by regional jet flying, or the expansion of low-cost carriers, the analyst wrote.

Sad for employees, but good for everyone else. Their fare pricing was desperate to say the least, and even Joe Leonard from Airtran said the Indy pricing was "Irresponsible." This could bring yeilds back up, and we will have to wait to see who will fill in the space at IAD. I think the stock offering at Jetblue today (for $175 million) gives us a possible answer. I see them possibly buying up the gates and moving in with E190s and A320s. I don't know if the Indy A319s are leased or owned--but they may go to China or the highest bidder if they are leased. Good luck to those employees.

Bye Bye--General Lee

General Lee said:
I think the stock offering at Jetblue today (for $175 million) gives us a possible answer. I see them possibly buying up the gates and moving in with E190s and A320s. I don't know if the Indy A319s are leased or owned--but they may go to China or the highest bidder if they are leased.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Mmmmmmmm!!!

Lowcur,

You're still an idiot. Do you seriously not understand the difference between a liquidation and a reoganization? Why don't you go look up bankruptcy law and get back to me.

Flyi is not "liquidating", at least not yet. They are under Chapter 11, not Chapter 7. They may auction off pieces (or the whole), but that is a far cry from "liquidating". They might still liquidate, but per usual, you've stuck your nose into an issue you do not have sufficient familiarity with.

Before you respond, please go check out bankruptcy law first.

General Lee said:
even Joe Leonard from Airtran said the Indy pricing was "Irresponsible."

General, our pricing at AirTran is "responsible" pricing, because we make money at our prices.

One could certainly say that Delta's pricing has been irresponsible, since they were selling seats at prices below the cost of flying those seats.

The company also announced it will request court approval to engage in a formal court-supervised auction process to seek outside investor(s) or purchaser(s) it needs to continue its operations.

Oh yeah, lowcur, how exactly does "continue its operations" equal "liquidation"?

I'm not arguing that they won't eventuall convert to Chapter 7, but there is no such thing as "Chapter 11 liquidation".

radarlove said:
Lowcur,

You're still an idiot. Do you seriously not understand the difference between a liquidation and a reoganization? Why don't you go look up bankruptcy law and get back to me.

Flyi is not "liquidating", at least not yet. They are under Chapter 11, not Chapter 7. They may auction off pieces (or the whole), but that is a far cry from "liquidating". They might still liquidate, but per usual, you've stuck your nose into an issue you do not have sufficient familiarity with.

Before you respond, please go check out bankruptcy law first.
I know, you were born breached and fell on your head, and then you were breast fed till you were 23. Tell your wife or girlfriend to burp you and put you to bed.

:pimp: :nuts:

Latest resources

Back